Daisho

BIG

Dear Peter.

I am unable to find detailed descriptions for this lot as all I can find is the prices realised list on which they do not feature so presumably they went unsold.  There are some questions.  The write up clearly says that the koshirae for this daisho are 18th century.  There can be no way of knowing that the two swords were made as a daisho and the chances are strong that they were not, simply collected together and then mounted as a daisho.  Like you I have always assumed that the daisho as we know it was largely a function of the codification of the samurai class in the shinto period but I cannot recall a reference for that at the moment.  I'll see what I can find but I am sure that others will chime in.

All the best.

• Like 1

I tried to look for an answer from the Uchigatana-koshirae book by Tokyo National Museum.

Uniformedly mounted daishō started being a trend around mid Muromachi. However even before that multiple swords were often carried to battlefield for practical reasons. As worn garments started to shift from the Ōnin wars onwards, development of matching uchigatana & wakizashi started. It is said that it became popular norm somewhere between Eiroku and Tenshō.

I believe the oldest matching daishō koshirae in the book that can be accurately dated is Inu-chiyo-goshirae (36. in book), it was worn by Maeda Toshiie at the battle of Okehazama in 1560.

For the oldest pair of swords actually produced as a pair of daishō blades by swordsmith, I have no clue about that...

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..