Looking For A Poor Condition Affordable Katana?

Kmad

I have been wondering about where all the traditional swords that will never be polished and are in good overall structural condition but poor polish and somewhat overall worn condition go.

I would love to have a full size Katana with fittings but do not necessarily want to have one in full polish from a well known smith 

would it be possible to purchase a complete out of polish one, for under 500 euro.

I am a collector of many things so going for one in full polish for over 1500 will never happen but i would like to have one in my collection 

do people sell their poor condition swords? and if you have one you think i may be interested in please drop me a PM or a Mail 

Thanks 

Ken 

ken.maddock@mu.ie

I realise that totally Frank

I am just looking for a decorative wall hanger, I collect SE Asia Indian swords which all are in "terrible condition" compared to what appeals to collectors of Japanese swords and I would like a Katana to accompany my collection

I have a few wakizashi but only short examples 

I will not study the hamon or any other nuances of the blade as I do not have the knowledge base nor to be honest the interest (do not take this the wrong way I am trying to be up front here) 

what i do love is owning historical artifacts and it just amazes me how 2 and 3 hundred year old swords seem to be relegated to not very interesting and not worth polishing 

Again I must stress i am not trying to stir up trouble here as i have found this forum to be v informative on my wakizashi identifications and do not want to cause offence.

Thanks 

Ken 

Maybe estate sales and try and get a good deal, maybe. If the blade is in poor polish and has hagire it may be dangerous to keep around. eBay has deals once in a blue moon, and deluges of really poor stuff that you don’t want. Buying from a Japanese seller on eBay may not be best as they mostly know what they have and are trying to unload poor stuff or charging accurately for med to good stuff, to overcharging for ok stuff. many Chinese knockoffs that will convince seasoned collectors so don’t think it is likely to get a good deal. My best eBay deals have been estate resellers that didn’t specialize in weapons and did a poor job showcasing (pictures and description). The more odd the piece then the cheaper it may go, but then you may end up with a non-representative example which can’t be what you are after. You could try and make friends with a dealer and there are some that are here on NMB. Even if they deal in high class stuff they may be willing to wade through the muck if you are very nice and polite to them (you seem to be). A sword show would be a good bet, as some people have really poor stuff... but you won’t get a deal there just pay top dollar for crap, as anyone having a bunch of rusty blades probably doesn’t have many decent long blades and will cherish them.

Personally I think a Chinese copy from Paul Chen or something would be a way to go for having at least the pretense of functionality and something somewhat resembling traditional janapese swords, for the wall to enjoy.

Then get a ok katana and pay the $1500, I bet the Paul Chen will make you want the real deal, ha ha... sure did to me. What about spending $500 on an old koshirae w tsunagi? I think u are more likely to find a koshirae with ok fittings and condition, to be more enjoyable to see on the wall I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived