Cool Woodblock Print I Stumbled Across

Blazeaglory

I cant remember the name of it but its from an old Japanese story and play. I think the English translation is "Hold on a minute"? 

The colors on this are amazing in person. Compared to others Ive seen from the 1960s which have fading colors, bad open borders, overlapping colors, just kinda looks slapped together, this one looks amazing. Colors are deep and filled in perfectly to the borders. Borders are black straight and thick.  The pressing itself looks like it hasn't aged a day but the paper its on looks really old and has some issues. Looks good in the cheap little frame I bought tho..lol Colors look way darker and colorful in person. My camera has a tendency to "whitewash" images.

Anyways, I put this up for everyone to enjoy and give opinion! I like hes got a stylized Tachi. Also, if anyone knows how to date these, is this early? Paper says yes but due to such vivid and deep colors, I hesitate to say. My gut tells me its one of the early ones, maybe contemporary to the artists own hand?

Thanks all and hopefully you enjoy!

D

post-4634-0-54329100-1540630771_thumb.jpg

Dwain,

Loose the standard precut mat board, it arbitrarily crops the image ruining the presentation.  Having an acid-free mat cut for your print will protect it,  and present it as it should be.  Also, be sure to hang it away from direct   sunlight (or bright diffused natural light or its man-made counterpart)  if you wish to preserve its colours.

-S-

p.s.- don't forget to use an acid-free backing as well.

• Like 1

Hi Dwain, I quite like it.

There is a program on Nhk tv call ukiyo-e about woodblock prints that is quite educational and funny too. If my memory serves me correctly theres an episode that explains when blue was introduced in the early 1800's and was from europe i think. The great Hokusai used it in his 6 views of Mt Fuji. Anyway enjoy.

Greg

Thanks everyone!

Ive been meaning to get a better frame as this one is temporary and really just to cover the blemishes around the border of the picture. I had to sacrifice with a little cropping to cover up some bad spots.

I have a thick curtain on the window so most of the time its out of direct sunlight but youre right and after getting new framed I think Ill move it. Sadly, I learned the hard way as a kid by hanging, next to direct sunlight, a mighty ducks roster first game signature special edition game plaque... not good :bang:

If I can add a little bit more to SteveM's excellent link:

The actor portrayed is most likely one of the long line to take the name Ichikawa Danjuro.

The Kamon (Family Crest) of three squares nestled within each other is known as Mimasu.

Shibaraku is a relatively short piece (50mins) often used to celebrate an Actor's name changing ceremony.

If you are planning on getting it re framed, you might want to use what we in the UK call "Museum Glass", which has a UV filter.

PS, average value $150 - $200 depending upon condition

:)

• Like 4

Malcom,  

Great background info on the image!  Of course Museum 'glass' would be best, I didn't mention it due to cost.  The cost of a properly sized frame, acid-free matt/backing, museum 'glass', etc.....would easily exceed the value of the print.  Hanging the picture in a well chosen location will protect it, reasonably well, from fading.  Also, I did a web search and found that the  price ranges from  as little as $80 to as much as $250 for mint condition examples.

-S-

No point to an acid-free mat without an acid-free backing. BTW, I would say IT 'je ne sais quoi' and so should you. To paraphrase "we're not in Kansas anymore" and should conduct ourselves accordingly! :)

-S-

Haha I'll go with the acid free package. I was hoping everyone would say it was worth the trouble!

Good evening Dwain &  StevenK.,

I really know what you mean about the cost of Museum glass and acid free mounts.

However, if you are not planning to sell on an item, cost is not an issue and it will pass the print on to the next generation in good order.

:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..