My First Attempt At (Mock) ‘Kintsugi’

Mark S.

So I tried my first attempt at ‘kintsugi’… or at least a distant attempt to mock kintsugi and I thought I would share.  Attached, please find some before and after pics.  The chawan (tea bowl) was nothing important (no national treasure here) and was a $40 bowl I purchased for $6 due to the crack.  I figured it would be a good test case and on top of it, I really liked the bowl!  After some research (urushi and real gold not being an option), I used a food safe 2-part epoxy and ‘gold dust’ used to decorate cakes.  While not a perfect result, I think it turned out acceptable and made the chawan useable again.  I am waiting for it to totally cure before I make a bowl of matcha in it and see how it holds up to hot water and the whisk. 

One of the ‘before’ pics was taken from the original website where I bought the bowl, so the color is a bit off, but it still gives you an idea of the extent of the cracks.  There were also some cracks that were hard to see, but could be felt on the inside of the bowl that needed additional sealing.  Obviously, there are natural cracks in the glaze which did not require ‘repair’ that appear in the photos as well. 

I am not claiming this is traditional, or even well done (still learning how to use the medium)… however, it met its intended purpose… to make a bowl I like useful again so I can enjoy a cup of matcha with it!

Mark S.

post-391-0-55083400-1540309453_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-04453400-1540309462_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-74140100-1540309471_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-15957100-1540309482_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-88867000-1540309490_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Below, please find pics of the bowl in place on my very modest tea ceremony table.  Alas, poor knees no longer allow for proper kneeling, so I am reduced to a modified table style in the corner of the sun room in my home.  We all do what we can do... :)

post-391-0-11291900-1540331269_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-19887600-1540331280_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..