Tsuba Translation

sksguide

Hi

I am new to this forumn. I collect miltary of all countries. I have a very nice older sword and this very nice Tsuba that came with it. I would appreciate a translation and any other information you might have. The letters have been illuminated to view. The Tsuba is all a dark finish as shown elsewhere.

post-4701-0-17453200-1539706195_thumb.jpg

post-4701-0-72686300-1539706220_thumb.jpg

post-4701-0-31448900-1539706241_thumb.jpg

SKSGUIDE,

welcome to the board.

Please sign all posts with your first name plus an initial, so that we may address you properly. 

I sincerely hope you did not remove the patina from the SEPPA-DAI when you tried to make the signature readable. That would have been a very bad idea.

Third photo is upside-down. 

The MEI is difficult for me. Third KANJI seems to read NAGA.

The TSUBA could be a MINO KINKO one or perhaps a SAN-MAI TSUBA. Difficult to say without holding it in hand.

No, no, I did not remove the patina. I moved the light souce to flood that area. The Tsuba is very heavy, more so then if it was iron or cooper, etc. I was told by an expert ( who could not read the inscrption) that it was Goto.The medal was gold, silver and something else. ( excuse my ignorance). Thank you for your information .I have many reference books and will look up MINO Kinko and San-Mai Tsuba. Much appreciated...

Roger F

No, no, I did not remove the patina. I moved the light souce to flood that area. The Tsuba is very heavy, more so then if it was iron or cooper, etc. I was told by an expert ( who could not read the inscrption) that it was Goto.The medal was gold, silver and something else. ( excuse my ignorance). Thank you for your information .I have many reference books and will look up MINO Kinko and San-Mai Tsuba. Much appreciated...

Roger F

I can't read the Mei but I think you're thinking about shibuichi as type of metal?

Either way its very nice! Harata school?

D

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, some years ago I had the privilege of meeting Harry AFU Watson at a Tampa Sword show. He examined my Tsuba and told me it was Goto.  A few years ago I got back in touch with Harry and asked him to translate the signature. He said it was difficult and would take some time. Unfortunately he died

before he could translate it. A real loss as he was such a fine and knowledgeable gentleman. Hence my request here having just learned of this translation service. I really appreciate the above information, comments and suggestions. 

To quote from Haynes Index, pg. 85 on Chojo:  "He was a better artist than his brother (Tokujo), but there are no signed examples of his work, or even example with attestations".

This mei is inconsistent as the kanji for Chojo are different from those for Goto and the kao.  It looks to me as if someone removed someone else's name kanji and added these as the Goto and Kao look to have identical stroke technique.

• Like 1

John nailed it. 後藤長乗 (花押)

Gotō is the family name, or in this case a particular school or group of artisans.

Chōjō is the "art" name of the artist. 

As Pete mentioned above, if there are no known examples of signed works by Chōjō we have to think about two possibilities: yours is a fake signature, thus confirming, at least at present, there are still no known signed pieces by the real Chōjō.

OR, that yours is the first signed piece from this artist to be found, and that this will be a significant addition to our knowledge of Chōjō. 

The Gotō part is written in cursive, "grass script". The Chōjō part is written with less artistic flourish. It is unusual to see a "half-and-half" signature like this. It makes me wonder about the authenticity. More importantly will be the assessment of the artistry of the tsuba itself. Alas, I am an amateur at this. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..