Facebook Picture

Stole this from a FB page at https://www.facebook.com/modernarmourandmilitaryhistory/
Just thought it was interesting. The cation reads as follows:

Helmet worn by US Marine Captain Walter Stauffer McIlhenny and the samurai sword that dented it. McIlhenny was assaulting a Japanese position in Guadalcanal in 1942, startling a Japanese officer who struck him in the head with his katana still in its scabbard. As he lost consciousness, McIlhenny fired off a shot that killed the Japanese. He woke up later on a stretcher with the katana next to him. Helmet and sword can be seen at the National WWII Museum in New Orleans.

Looking at the habaki, I would love to know what blade is housed in that saya.
No hangers either. Wonder if it had a combat cover at some point. No time to draw the sword, so it became a baton?
war is crazy.

401728_n.jpg

• Like 7

I just had to stop and ponder how fast that encounter was and how it must have felt from both sides of the engagement.

By the look of the impact, it suggests the Japanese Officer was cutting from high Left to low Right.

Wow thats a very interesting scenario to think about and terrible one to be in. Hard to really come up with what happened with confidence but it would be nice to find out. I wonder if it has ever been taken out of the saya or if its just so jammed they left it that way. Nice find Brian.

Greg

This is obviously one of the heavy steel gunto saya's to inflict that type of damage to a helmet as I can see little or no damage to the saya.

Yes, more information would be great, perhaps someone living in the New Orleans area could provide more photos and further information on sword!!

Would make an interesting History Channel documentary...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..