Probably Gunto?

ChrisW

I know this sword is likely to be a gunto however, the hamon on it is gorgeous and I feel it falls into the category of traditionally made. I am just a novice, so I thought I would get an opinion on it. The pictures really don't do it any sort of justice and the nakago's color is definitely darker than the pictures show. The tsuka and fittings did not come with the blade originally, it just sits really well in a spare set I have so I display it as such. The habaki was made for it though, as it fits like a glove and there are no gaps with it.

Does this hamon and profile match any known smith or school? As always, any information is dearly appreciated. In any case, its a very pretty blade and it displays well!

~Chris

post-4665-0-72660300-1539658952_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-61771400-1539658959_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-60138100-1539658974_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-27435800-1539658982_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-65787800-1539658986_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-72646500-1539658991_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-77082100-1539658996_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-59960700-1539659001_thumb.jpg

On a real hamon, there are dots of martensite yes? I see such tiny dots all over the hamon's edge. I imagine that's no guarantee, but they're present throughout the entire hamon edge. I really don't have much experience photographing these blades, so if there's a guide on how to do that, let me know please and thank you!  If there is an expert in my area, I'd be more than happy to show them my collection and get some opinions.

Thanks!  ...I might have to get a better camera than my phone then. It wasn't meant for such up-close pictures, but I'll try and see if I can. I had to turn the blade to a certain angle to catch the light to show the hamon as clearly as it did in the above pictures, that might have also made the proportions look off.

I tried... unfortunately, I can't seem to get them to show up. I'll have to get a better camera at some point. The picture appears out of focus and doesn't show what I need for it to show. What are your feelings about the nakago? It has very prominent file marks on it that match what I've seen of other guntos, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is. Though, that's my gut feeling.

Chris,

The nakago is out of focus, but from what I can see, it looks legit. In order to take focused, close up pictures, you will need a macro lens, say f/2.8. It's a little pricey, but if you stay with the nihonto hobby, it is worth the money. In addition to the lens, lighting is tricky at best. It's all a matter of playing with the combination of camera, lens, and lighting until you get a hang of it. Have fun!

Hoanh

Thanks for the invite, Chris.  If I am ever in the area, I will take you up on your offer.  I have an old Canon Rebel XTi, with a standard lens and a macro lens with f/2.8.  I would say any DSLR will do, and it's matter a preference whether one goes with Canon or Nikon.  Choose carefully, though, because once you invest money in the lenses, you will likely stick with manufacturer. Get a sturdy tripod that can look down 90 degrees.  That way, later when you get into tosugu, you will be all set. Also, build a contraption that can hold the sword *securely* in place and rotate the sword around hands-free. That way, you won't have to touch the camera or the sword, and you can play lots of tricks with aperture and exposure without worrying about vibrations. It took me a while to build my set up, but it's a one-time investment (time-wise).

Hoanh

Thanks Hoanh, I'll have to look into some different setups so I can photograph these things properly. I do have some parts and pieces that I could show here, such as my two cloissone tsuba and etc. I've actually already posted pictures of them, feel free to see that thread and give your opinion on them if you like!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..