Fujiwara Arihira?

FourT6and2

My cousin has had a Japanese sword for years. Just sitting in his closet I think. He showed it to me and I had a crack at translating the signature, but would love to get some additional input from anybody knowledgable. Some of the characters do look suspect as maybe a few of them contain backwards, missing, or incorrect strokes. So maybe a forgery?

My best crack at a translation is "Keian Ni Nen Hachi Gatsu Hi / Echigo no kami Fujiwara Arihira Saku"

"A day in August, 1649. Made by Echigo no Kami (Fujiwara Arihira)" ???

I found this about the smith, from https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kanewaka.htm

Tsujimura Arihira

This is the second son of Shodai Kanewaka. He followed the style of his father. He was active from the Kanei era (1624). There are very few of his works that exist today. One idea is that this smith remained in the background. Inscriptions:

"Echigo no Kami Fujiwara Arihira" 藤原守藤原有平

etching_by_haftelm-dcpgidw.jpg

This isn't for commercial purposes. But I wonder if it's worth having the sword restored/polished and authenticated or if it's a waste of money?

It's in shirasaya (fittings in bad shape) and it's a really long sword.

This certainly seems likely to be a worthy sword. Polish and a refit would not be cheap, tho. I don't think it would be a waste of money, but I doubt that you could consider this a wise "investment." At the very least, I think you should consider submitting it to a shinsa. That won't cost vert much and it will also provide useful information.

Peter

• Like 1

This certainly seems likely to be a worthy sword. Polish and a refit would not be cheap, tho. I don't think it would be a waste of money, but I doubt that you could consider this a wise "investment." At the very least, I think you should consider submitting it to a shinsa. That won't cost vert much and it will also provide useful information.

Peter

Thanks!

Does my translation seem accurate?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..