Recent Purchase Of Wakizashi Circa 1800 With Signed Kogatana

fergusj2

Hello. This is my 1st post and my 1st purchase of a fine wakizashi with kogatana. The main reason for the purchase of this nihonto was the scabbard? which appears to be a bronze/copper inlay showing a running horse. The sword only arrived yesterday and I hope to show more images however when I opened the packing and looked at the kogatana it was signed. Please can anyone assist with the translation, I have began to search through various website of nihonto translation assistance, it is a very difficult learning curve?

I have attached the image showing the text, and thank everyone who views and can help/assist with a beginners journey.

Thank you. John 

post-4694-0-62601900-1539421471_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hobby.

Unfortunately, the kanji on the kogatana are a little worn and not done in the nice "blocky" fashion that is helpful to western readers, so I'm struggling with the fourth and sixth kanji,however, I think there's enough that I can make out to take a stab at it.

The first three kanji (志津三...) read "Shizu sa" and that is a combination that often comes up in a line of smiths signing "Shizu saboro Kane Uji". In this case there is also a "Minamoto" (源) thrown in so it might be this guy: 

KANEUJI (兼氏), Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Mino – “Shizu Saburō Minamoto Kaneuji” (志津三郎源兼氏), real name Tōyama Jinjūrō (遠山甚十郎), he lived in Ōgaki (大垣) in Mino province, by the shintō-era, the lineage of Kaneuji had split into the Ōgaki, Gifu (岐阜), and Seki branches that were locally active until the Meiji era, the Ōgaki line smiths bore the family name Tōyama and the Seki line smiths the family name Fukuchi (福地)

I say might, because for some reason manufacturers of kogatana often add a somewhat "aspirational" signature to them, usually of a famous smith, so this may not actually be the maker.

I hope that helps. If you get the time please also post some pictures of your new sword as we like looking at pictures of swords!

Kind regards,

another John

• Like 1

What John is saying is that kogatana are usually signed with fake signatures. Not every time, but mostly...especially with big names. They seem more of a homage than deliberate deception, but one shouldn't get too carried away by a kogatana signature.

Hi and 4big thanks, understand about "being signed" and it was a nice bonus even for me as this was not the reason for purchase. Hopefully over the next few days I can take some images and post. Once again thanks everyone in the forum.

What John is saying is that kogatana are usually signed with fake signatures. Not every time, but mostly...especially with big names. They seem more of a homage than deliberate deception, but one shouldn't get too carried away by a kogatana signature.

You think maybe they did make them as a way to keep some cash flowing? Or so people could own something made by a famous smith without investing big bucks into a katana?

I tend to agree with you. I think I'm just wishful thinking because my Munetsugu kogatana haha????????

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..