Ko Kinko Kozuka

Shugyosha

• 2 weeks later...

It has been mentioned that the "shakudo" may in fact be shibuichi: in normal lighting it has a brown rather than black hue. Please accept my apologies for any misdescription. 

Edit: Sorry can't edit the original post - it's shubuichi and not shakudo.

Hello John,

The silvery copper brown-ish color, especially on the back of this kozuka, most definitely falls in the category of what I would characterize, describe, as being shibuichi, the front as well. 

Shibuichi occupies a fairly wide range of shades depending upon metal content, the darkest might even be mistaken for shakudo depending upon the lighting. A rich looking shibuchi is a mark of quality.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry i thought i posted this in your other thread! So here's a bump!

I would think it depends on the copper content.

You can also look very close, if you have a pocket microscope or a jeweler loop, check any scratches (deeper the better) and if it's copper in the scratch, it's silver plated. If it's a silver color in the scratch, its Shibuichi or silver.

Here's a pic of the back of my Shibuichi Kozuka. Has the same brownish spots as yours but in person looks black. The camera seems to bring out the "brownish" (deep copper). You can also see the silver in the worn edge. The back looks shiroshibuichi (higher copper content) and front looks kirochishibuichi (very white higher silver content with a bit of gold). In person anyways

So I would guess it's Shibuichi. Might wanna raise the price wink wink

post-4634-0-84393400-1540436743_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-37880700-1540437479_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just for clarity,  unpatinated Shibuichi is not white in color, it is varying shades of copper color depending on silver content.

-S-

In person it has allot of different colors and copper is one of them. Depending on the light, its a "plethora" of colors ;-)

Under naked eye, spots of copper. Shine a light on it, it disappears and becomes silver. Its crazy. Theres also blacks, blues, copper but mostly silver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..