Lacquer Tsuba?

ChrisW

Hey all,

I have a couple of tsuba I thought I would show and get opinions on. I saw these and have not too much knowledge of them, though I know they're probably Edo-period (?) as I read that ornamental fittings came more into vogue around that time. I could and (probably be) totally off base with these. Either way, I didn't pay too much for them.

Let me know what you think and any information you might be able to glean from the pictures.

The first tsuba is 5.45cm x 4.1cm, Thickness: 0.5cm, Inside hole is 2.4cm x 0.75cm(max width) x 0.2cm(min width)

The second tsuba is 6cm x 4.7cm, thickness: 0.5cm, Inside hole is 2.4cm x 0.7cm (max width) x 0.2cm (min width)

Thanks for any education guys!

post-4665-0-77417800-1539227613_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-60540900-1539227618_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-45032000-1539227623_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-97940200-1539227631_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-89587400-1539227638_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There were two currents of cloisonne art during the Meiji period: one traditional since the Edo period which includes doro-shippo, and another which started anew under the direction of western technicians (e.g.,Gottfried Wagener).  The two styles have run concurrently through Meiji, Taisho, Showa, were revived during the post war era and continue to be produced.  The tsuba presented here are in the doro-shippo style, anyone seeing clear bright color needs to calibrate their monitor.

-S-

So would anyone know of an expert that I could be pointed towards that might be able to pin an age or school to them? Thanks for all the great information guys, its appreciated!

There are a few experts on this website so just hang in there and one of them will chime in sooner or later. I think a couple of them already have haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..