Recent Clean Up

Stephen

Michael

This was a sticky one. Not sure what was on it but it came off like tar. For the longest time i was thinking brass under it all...then a layer opened to gold. Mainly warm soapy did a qtip or two with deluted alcohol soapy bath. I feel theirs grim left but i dont want chance color loss.

• Like 1

Michael

This was a sticky one. Not sure what was on it but it came off like tar. For the longest time i was thinking brass under it all...then a layer opened to gold. Mainly warm soapy did a qtip or two with deluted alcohol soapy bath. I feel theirs grim left but i dont want chance color loss.

Thank you for sharing!

I wish to clean some extra I have as well but did not want to use any harsh or extreme methods nor did I want to remove any patina or color.

I've read that "grime and dirt isn't patina", so a light and non invasive cleaning is ok.

Any other advice or methods? You did a really good job!

D

Each medium is different. Some soft metal is nothing more than a bath..no hard rubbing or you'll lose color.depend s on grime on this last one i had to oil between soap bath..that broke up bit by bit the tar like substance. Not sure before proceeding always ask.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..