Value Of The Hizen Sword Of Tadayoshi 'gojitada' (Togo Heihachiro)

Semar mendem

Dearest all

My friends is Marshal Chiyomori Sama GrandSon,

They have A hizen sword of tadayoshi

Gojitada that gave by "Marshal Togo Heihachiro" (this momen was documented and that book had been sign by marshal Chiyomori sama before he past away),

This sword make by No Daijo Fujiwara Masahiro , 1600 - 1624,

All i want asking about yours oppinion about the value of this sword

Any mistake on write or else, i do apologize,

post-4668-0-83222700-1539163258_thumb.jpg

post-4668-0-11833900-1539163301_thumb.jpg

post-4668-0-31320100-1539163355_thumb.jpg

post-4668-0-29992900-1539163388_thumb.jpg

Gojimei Tadayoshi are very desirable. Because of this they are often faked. If your Friends sword is genuine , it polishes and receives high level authentication papers successfully  it could be very valuable. However that is a large if and it is both time consuming and costly to go through the process. If it is right it would be worth it if not you might struggle to recover your restoration costs.  You could sell as is and let someone else take the risk but of course you would realise a much lower value, perhaps 10-20% of the fully authenticated work.

Sorry not much help but value is not set in stone it is governed by what someone is prepared to pay for it at the time.

• Like 1

Dear Semar.

Compare here, https://www.aoijapan.com/katana-hizen-kuni-kawachi-daijo-fujiwara-masahiro-the-first-generation/ BUT, bear in mind Paul's comments and note that the example I have linked to is ubu or unaltered, is in fresh polish and has papers from NBTHK  as well as a rather nice koshirae or mounting.  Yours has been shortened a little, is out of polish and has no papers. 

If your friend decides to go for restoration it is vital that this is only attempted by Japanese trained professionals, any other sort of restoration would risk destroying the sword.  Do please ask here for advice about the restoration.

All the best.

I am a bit confused by the reference to 'gojitada'. If this is referring to a Goji-mei Tadayoshi (five character mei of Hizen [no] kuni Tadayoshi), then this is not one. This is a naga-mei (or long mei) Hizen signature.

The mei (from what I can see) looks more like Hizen (no) kuni Kawachi Daijo Fujiwara Masahiro. Can a better photo be provided?

post-457-0-34281500-1539183254_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-01353900-1539183257_thumb.jpg

If the translation above is correct, and if the mei is authentic, this would indicate a date after 1628.

This is a shodai, suriage Kawachi Daijo Masahiro I owned and had polished by Nakamura Yutaka.

http://www.ricecracker.com/inventory/item621_katana_masahiro/621_katana_masahiro.html

Well, on the NMB we tend to be critical and sceptical as a default stance. I have noticed that over the last ten years or so. After we get to know someone, we warm up and start accepting them and their items.

My point is that it does not hurt to give a balanced view, for instance (- denotes negative and + positive)

- shortened

- out of polish

- saya: preserved but so-so and gunto (not special order, nothing much out of the ordinary?)

- sword not currently verified with origami certificate from one of the major bodies (NBTHK or NTHK) - at least not that we know of.....

+ big-name Shinto smith (very well-regarded)

+ full signature in place

+ historic connection to one of the greatest military figures in Japanese history (not talking about the Marshall who left it to his grandson, and who can verify it as it has been in the family but about Togo Heihachiro, the so-called “Lord Nelson of Japan”)

• Like 1

Dear paulb and other

It's hard to follow your suggestion, because we live in indonesia, no restoration profesional live here, also to get the paper of authentical of the katana , besides we here worried if it can make any destruction to the katana,

By the way, the book that explained about the moment is ordinary book, mrs. Miharu get it from Japan in 1993 and brought back to indonesia and show it to her fahter (mr. Chiyomory),

here is the book

post-4668-0-59600700-1539243562_thumb.jpg

Please share photos which show the signature clearly. As mentioned above, this is not a Goji-mei Tadayoshi, but may be a first generation Hizen Masahiro. At that point, you may want to have the sword authenticated (have the signature verified) and sell here or consign to a dealer to sell for you.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1

As Ray says, it is virtually impossible to make a good guess from your photos. They need to be with much higher resolution and closer to the object. One would need to assess if the signature has a chance of being genuine and look at the state of the blade (whether the rust is skin-deep only or there are more serious problems lurking).

So, marshal Chiyomori’s grandson wants to sell his grandpa’s sword? If he can prove that indeed this sword has such an illustrious historical past and is genuinely by Masahiro and can be polished, he has a chance of realising a decent value.

• Like 2

Dear ray

Here is the foto of the mei, and to repolish this katana in indonesia, it's very diffiult, btw foto of chiyomori when still duty i show later, if still need any information from Japanese ambassy (@ indonesia) about chiyomri, chiyomri family could take you to the embassy here to

post-4668-0-65704500-1539416300_thumb.jpg

post-4668-0-31741200-1539416384_thumb.jpg

At Here i speak only as friends of mr. Kendji and mr. Reoji, not family of Chiyomori sama, but i known the condition of them.., i hope i can help them although as afriends, i still can not inform how much they want sell this, but i collect data from all of you guys.., about best price, beside the smith, also histori of the katana, any help and info, thank you so much

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..