Help Identifying My Uncle's Sword

DEH

New here and hope I don't mess this up.

I inherited what I believe is a Shin-Gunto from my Uncle. He brought it back after WWII. I hope I get the terminology right. Forgive me if not. The Saya seems to be brown painted metal. It has a leather cover over the Tuska. The Tsuba has what I believe are lotus flowers. The tassel is brown and blue (a company level officer).  There is Mei on both sides of the Nakago. Mainly larger characters but also two very small characters.

Any help with identifying my sword would be very appreciated.

Thank You For You Time

post-4687-0-46182700-1539024554_thumb.jpgpost-4687-0-00188700-1539024556_thumb.jpgpost-4687-0-17857200-1539024557_thumb.jpgpost-4687-0-89315500-1539024557_thumb.jpgpost-4687-0-36048200-1539024560_thumb.jpgpost-4687-0-50974200-1539024561_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

DEH,

(Note: please go to you your settings and put in a name we can talk to, thanks!)

You've got a nice Type 98 Japanese Army Officer gunto, made in August 1943, for the Nagoya Arsenal (small stamp).

Someone better at this may correct me, but I believe the smith's name is 兼定 (Kanesada).

Welcome to the club! It's the same way (my father, though) I got hooked on the hobby!

Great place to learn some basic about these is the Ohmura site: http://ohmura-study.net/900.html

and

The Japanese Sword Index: http://japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

• Like 5

Bruce nailed it. 

兼定 (Kanesada)

昭和十八年八月 (Shōwa 18, August) note: "Showa" is the era name. Look up Japanese era names or Showa in wikipedia for more details. 

The handwritten numbers/letters in black ink/paint is a kind of makeshift part identification number. Very common on these swords. Yours says "143". Not a lot of significance to those. The important thing is the smith and the year. And, of course, the condition of the sword is extremely important. Look on this site for more info on handling, caring, storing the sword. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..