Newbie's First Tsuba

doc-detroit1

I just received my first tsuba and cannot find any information on the artist or school except for the data provided in the auction description, which was:

• Mei: Hidetatsudo Toshiyasu
  • Length: 7.24cm (2,85") x 6.44cm (2.53")
  • Thickness at rim: .50cm (.19")
  • Era: Edo
  • Weight : 160g
  • Features: Round shintyu plate with Li Bai (Chinese poet, wanderer and drunk)

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Best regards and thank you, Bill

post-2983-0-07833900-1538932171_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-82574300-1538932260_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-30305300-1538932350_thumb.jpgpost-2983-0-96934700-1538932423_thumb.jpg

Bill,

you have some data in the NBTHK HOZON paper. Detailed information on the artist may only be found in special literature. Considering the colour of the metal, the plate probably isn't SHINCHU (brass), but looks more like YAMAGANE (raw copper), but that may be the photo. 

Hi Patrick,

There isn't a school attribution for it. The theme is the Chinese poet Li Po - after that the paper just gives the signature and a description of the manufacture. Here's a bit about Li Po:

https://www.geni.com/people/Li-Po-%E6%9D%8E%E7%99%BD-98-65G/6000000007512818128

Bill - looks like you've made a pretty good start.

Best,

John

Bruno, thank you for the Hamano school lead. I am going to do a little research in the few references I have. And Chris, I know what you mean about the face and subject. The face looks almost like a portrait rather than the simpler figures I've seen in other tsubas. Also the relief in the carving of the streams seems unique- showing great detail and giving the feeling of depth. To me, a complete novice, the artist seems to have been exceptional. I am surprised I cannot find something more about him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..