Hidden Cane Sword

A gentleman came to me at the local show to ask if I could find out if this hidden cane sword was "authentic".   A couple of things concern me about it, namely the tang may have been drilled instead of punched for the holes and I can not find (admittedly in my limited references) any reference to a spring loaded "tsuba" for hidden swords.  The fact that there are multiple peg/pin holes makes me wonder why so many would be needed if it wasn't an earlier blade that was remounted. 

There are no markings that I can find and I can't see any file marks on the tang.  

I hope the collective brain trust here might be able to help shed some light whether this is some tourist piece or a lucky estate find. 

Thank you in advance. 

post-3191-0-47866700-1538917129_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-69434200-1538917167_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-85661900-1538917196_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-97391400-1538917321_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-29677400-1538917406_thumb.jpg

post-3191-0-69544000-1538918688_thumb.jpg

Have seen that style of folding "tsuba" before, and yes..it is genuine. Meiji period mounts, but in this case the multiple ana may be a good thing, as the usual shizuekomi blades are not good. But this may be an earlier and better blade remounted later. Blade doesn't look bad. Worth checking out. But undoubtedly genuine.

Thanks!

Another thing puzzles me, there's copper wire used in at least a couple of places to secure the tsuka that is covered by what looks like bark.  

Without having inspected it personally, anyone want to hazard a guess as to ballpark value considering the condition?  He'll want to know (they always want to know). 

A quick word of caution.  Cane Swords are considered concealed weapons in some states and may be anywhere from illegal to controlled so before advertising/selling it would be a good idea to check local and state laws.  It can also be illegal to sell/transport to another state as well, California being a good example.  Tennessee recently changed it's bladed weapons laws but always good to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Be aware that in France, for example, you can buy any blade, concealed or not. BUT, according to the Law, you are not allowed to have one on you, being it a pen knife, a sword cane, or a Bowie knife.

You can be sentenced to jail and fined.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..