Edo Tosho?

kissakai

I recently bought this tsuba and assumed it is Edo Toshi.

Would others agree with this?

post-2100-0-84877200-1538850541_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-55186000-1538850557_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-90850100-1538850594_thumb.jpg

This was from the sellers post and there was a discussion about the material, shakudo etc

So sowing a new image that is nearer to the colour but it is a bugger to photograph

I will take it to Birmingham Arms fair in November so the Token lads can see it in hand

post-2100-0-25561300-1538850527_thumb.jpg

Grev

Thought so just checking in case I'd missed something

At the 3 o'clock position there is a lump like you can get on old tsuba and the surface is slightly domed

Thickness measures 3.8 and thins to around 3mm

I was hoping it to be older but just wishful thinking

Difficult to identify without closer inspection. Could be traces of corrosion or tekkotsu which is slighty rubbed.

But alas in case of the latter that’s not a hint to pre-Edo-times.

There’s a round spot, too, (5 o’clock position) maybe the remains of some glued label.

Florian

Grev,

You seemed to be a bit disappointed because this Tsuba isn’t a Koto one.

In my younger days when I have had neither money nor knowledge I purchased this late Tosho-style-Tsuba:

post-919-0-20037900-1539061056_thumb.jpg

Fortunately most of the rubbish I bought in those times has gone again but although I know it’s only a humble piece and despite meanwhile I own better specimen I kept it until today because I simply like it.

So know what You have and enjoy Your Tsuba!

Florian

Hi Florian

I did start the post by saying I thought it was Tosho revival so I'm not disappointed

I have a few revival tsuba I'm keeping as sometimes they can have a bit of charm

Generally I add post for my own knowledge, sometimes just for fun or an item thay may help the newer collector

As you see may more Tosho revival than Tosho tsuba the post gives some basic pointers such as your helpful previous reply:

'It is thicker as Ko-Tosho, the thickness decreases at the rim and the sukashi is more sophisticated.'

The other point is the surface appearance of an older tsuba

The material about my second question has been overlooked but that was a difficult ask

Image of an older Tosho tsuba for comparison with comments

Size: 82 x 82 x 3.6mm
Very representative Ko-Tosho Muromachi Tsuba. The iron is very good, notice the big Tekkotsu bone on the omote face and the nice lamination fold line on the ura side close to the mimi. The mimi is ubu, the hammer fold is very representative and nicely done. A very nice example of a Ko Tosho workmanship in ubu condition. Due to the size and the already existing elongated and slightly horizontal set to the top Kozuka-ana I is possibly dated it to the latter half of the Muromachi period or very early pre Jidai but could be older.

post-2100-0-90290000-1539069668_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-28897700-1539070172_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-09247100-1539070181_thumb.jpg

Grev

Hello Grev,

sorry for misunderstanding.

Alas I can’t catch exactly Your second question.

Concerning the Edo-Tosho-piece it is  IMHO made of iron with a polished surface (migaki) usual in Edo-Period (mine shows the same). Shakudo wouldn’t look like this, even if rubbed. Further shakudo and other material mixes are made very fine so that neither rough traces of wearing nor tekkotsu wouldn’t appear.

Concerning the second Tsuba with the kebori-Design I must admit my lack of knowledge, but  judging by the picture I think it is made of iron, too. The polished surface isn’t glossy but could be heighten by rubbing with cotton.

At last the Ko-Tosho Tsuba shows a lustreless surface and it appears there is initial rust. Deer antler and cotton cloth would help enhance its beauty, too.

Florian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..