Question Of Ware In Kissaki/boshi

Blazeaglory

Hello all.

My question is related to what looks like maybe ware/yaki ware in the boshi of this blade. Running parallel with the cutting edge. Its hard to see and need to zoom in but its on the right side of blade (2nd blade down in pics)

Opinions? Is it fatal or devalue the sword? Other than that, this sword is great

Thanks

post-4634-0-07168100-1538748939_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-17160000-1538748945_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-03351400-1538749238_thumb.jpg

Dear Dwain.

Hard to see but it looks to me like a little delamination or a ware and therefore not fatal.  You might find this instructive.  https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kizu.htm

The other thing to ask is does this sword have papers?  If so then clearly not fatal.

(Ray got there first!)

All the best.

• Like 1

A kitae-ware in the kissaki is not fatal, however I have cropped the photo and adjusted levels and am not seeing a ware in this sword. There do appear to be some stains which run parallel to the ha.

If you look at the one to the right (your image), you can barely see where the boshi meets the rest of the sword (the line?) there is a crack like faint opening running kinda like lightening down into the ha diagonal from the point. Also you can see a better image of it in the reverse negative (or whatever kind of photo it is). Its kind of hard to see

And thank you for the resizing of the image!

Also no papers on this blade. Its muromachi fyi

post-4634-0-84313600-1538750845_thumb.jpg

Dear Dwain.

Hard to see but it looks to me like a little delamination or a ware and therefore not fatal.  You might find this instructive.  https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kizu.htm

The other thing to ask is does this sword have papers?  If so then clearly not fatal.

(Ray got there first!)

All the best.

Oh yes Ive read that and use it quite frequently. This time however I was not sure what type of issue it is if any so I came to where the pros reside for opinions haha

I posted a better image above for you to see. Thanks Oh and no papers btw

Guest Rayhan

Delamination or ware yes but i wouldn't consider this sword as a value add. If you just need a muromachi sword then ok but there are ubu zaimei muromachi blades for sale on Aoi that hold better value both historically and in value

Delamination or ware yes but i wouldn't consider this sword as a value add. If you just need a muromachi sword then ok but there are ubu zaimei muromachi blades for sale on Aoi that hold better value both historically and in value

Thanks. Im just looking atm. This item happened to be fairly reasonable in price so I wanted others opinions.

I would like an older blade or something that was more likely to have been in battle.

So you dont think this sword is a good one? I thought it had a nice look and fairly good condition? And I thank you for the thoughts as well! It helps greatly

Guest Rayhan

If you're looking at Aoi for a purchase and specifically a Muromachi sword then head to the bottom of the page (mobile) or the search bar at the left (desktop) and search for Muromachi. You'll see signed ubu wakizashi in your price range with hozon

If you're looking at Aoi for a purchase and specifically a Muromachi sword then head to the bottom of the page (mobile) or the search bar at the left (desktop) and search for Muromachi. You'll see signed ubu wakizashi in your price range with hozon

Thank you! And its funny you mention that! I am actually looking at that particular item right now!

I think it is decent looking sword in overall. The small ware is very minor and while it is not optimal I would overlook small things like that.

I am not really into koshirae but I do seem to notice that there might be another hole that has been covered? To me that would usually indicate that the tsuka is not original to this sword. Dealers and collectors sometimes tinker koshirae to fit the sword to make them more desirable package to many potential buyers. And of course the unfortunate opposite happens too that original koshirae are split from the sword...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..