Help With Research On This Wwll Heirloom From My Father

Brady

Ray translated the tang writing for me recently to say " Noshu Seki Ju Kawashima Yoshimasa Saku" or in English "Made by the smith Kawashima Yoshimasa in Seki"

Here are pics of it and any help with origin, year made, what type of Japanese officer owned it, value...etc, would be greatly appreciated.

post-4682-0-57176100-1538688993_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-67799000-1538689019_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-55047400-1538689037_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-69380900-1538689055_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-09050900-1538689085_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-29831800-1538689100_thumb.jpg

post-4682-0-81372500-1538689114_thumb.jpg

As far as I know it is original condition and the tang was never removed or anything done to it.

The Habakkuk's is split and looks like a filler metal was used under it in the front and sloppily done on the tang where it was out of sight.....made them super fast in those days I was guessing.

Here are better pics;

Seems that the blade was drawn and used a lot then and whoever owned it back then had someone repair it for him.

I do know that my father brought it home from WWll and never did anything to it.

Thanks for the help guys.

I understand a little terminology, and now that Bruce said that, I get it now...

I wondered why there was only 1 "seppa" and it may be obvious to a lot of you but I now, better understand the blade's journey through this world to my hands.

Brady,

Most of our blades' lives are a mystery. They come to us after passing through combat, surrender collections, and multiple owners. My dad's Mantetu came to me with seppa, the mekugi peg, and two saya (scabbard) parts missing! Dad claimed someone stole the parts looking for precious gems. But, since it was obvious when looking at the parts that there were no gems, I think it more likely they might have thought there was some real gold in them. But parts may simply get left off after dissassembly and re-assembly from many "Bubbas" over the years. I always take the time to find replacement parts for mine, and try to restore them as much as possible.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..