My First Waki(40 Year Old Wakizashi Virgin Haha)

NOT! Fantasy BS

It was a whimsical notion but I should have known better than to deviate haha

I'll lash myself later as punishment????????

In reality, for the prior method of display, I just placed the sword on the stand and one side wouldn't go down but as I looked I thought it was different in a somewhat good looking way. I just used the term "sweeping" because of the diagonal angle. It happened by chance and not from any attempt at "abstract" Nihonto display techniques lol

Im familiar with the proper method for display but I thought I would run that first attempt by everyone. As it is now it actually fit perfect without any force (not that I was trying to use force)

This saya is really nice too. It has a rough matte finish and the purple really adds a pop of color to compliment. Also, for the time this Waki is with me it will receive the care and attention it deserves. It's cutting days are over (that is until we devolve into feudal warfare again)

It's good as it is now. It's a nice overall package. Look after it.

Thanks. I will and with the help from the veterans here, I'm open to a lashing if I mistakenly step out of line or if anyone notices something I'm doing wrong, feel free to berate me. I can handle the criticism. For now with me, I think less is more and I examine often for any gathering rust with some slight cleaning with soft rag and light oil.

Dwain you have what i call newbie itis, want to take it all in and be accepted as a older ( in time here) member, may be cool all the rambling post, ask perdent questions and read tons of the archives. So much to learn so little time.

Dwain you have what i call newbie itis, want to take it all in and be accepted as a older ( in time here) member, may be cool all the rambling post, ask perdent questions and read tons of the archives. So much to learn so little time.

Yes I can see the newbie "itis" in myself. I would think we all had it at one point. It's when everything is new and exciting. Like discovering new schools or branches of schools that weren't big or well known but have one or two great smiths. Different names and different kanji. I hope I never stop feeling this way and I wouldn't hold it against someone either.

But to some of your perceptions I could see differently. Such as rambling and being accepted...

Let me start by saying.. haha just kidding. Anyways my grandmother bought me an encyclopedia set when I was 8 and I never stopped reading it. I had the entire funk and Wagnels encyclopedia set memorized and photographed inside my brain. I never stop reading.

Which brings me to my next point. I studied and continue to study history and writing. I've always had a tendency to over explain and try to paint big pictures. I use a little of both here and by the time I realize I'm still writing it's too late. Its only my nature to want others to understand me but sometimes comes across as rambling or long winded. But I would like to know the percentage of people who actually slow down without pre conceived assumptions or blinded by some perceived slight that I might not have realized but is a big thing to others. I don't only mean here I mean in real life and other message boards. Only a select few really listen to what I'm saying before disregarding it as running nonsense..

Oh, as far as being accepted goes, I've never really been in situations where i didn't feel accepted or didn't really think about it but iI can also write a book on that subject as well haha As long as I'm honest with myself and listen to more experienced collectors who come across as genuine I'll feel at least welcomed. But by acceptance if you mean feeling like I fit in here and am actually knowledgeable and helpful and others appreciate that than yah, I would like to be accepted.

Well see what you made me do? Another book! Lol Like I said, I don't always write in masse like this but when I do people either hate it, love it or just skim or skip it and then respond without reading or digesting any of my well thought out points..lol and that makes the newbie itis seem 10x worse.

Can I please stop writing now? I think I need food and water