Can I Request Assistance In Identification Of These Swords?

Chris A

Greetings. My father acquired a collection of Japanese Swords and War Medals. There are three swords, and a large collection of war medals. I feel as if something special should be done with the Medals. It is not my intention to profit from forum advisers, however to receive validation would convince me to have same professionally appraised. I have created shared albums on google, of each Sword, with close up and detailed pictures. The first Sword is a barn find from Alabama, and was literally found buried in the earthen floor. Is is worth restoration? Link follows....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7RmmrYHtykVVsnyGA

The next two links, appear to me, as to be authentic Japanese Swords.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/75xNsZQByDybkuA59

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m7G1RH3V9uVKEKnf8

The next link shows an overall view of the Japanese Wartime Medals, I also have albums of each row in close detail, and I can post those if requested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LbYQZa8okidxSiEX6

The next link shows some interesting ivory pieces, I do not know what these are...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/919LYRCg9L2fmuta8

Please know that I realize the sentiment that is attached to these items. I have much respect for all of them. I actually trembled as I held the swords. I felt the energy...

I wish the medals could go to their original owners or their ancestors. We have not removed any of them from the display case.

Again, Thank You for viewing and I look forward to gaining information about these items.

1st one is 

陸奥守吉行

Mutsu-no-kami Yoshiyuki  (meaning: Yoshiyuki, Lord of Mutsu Province). 

In this context, "Lord" is an honorary title, and doesn't imply political power. If authentic, this sword will be a nice one to have in the collection. It should go to a professional Japanese sword polisher to get the care it deserves. I am more optimistic about this one than in the other two, even though the others might seem like nicer eye-candy since they come with the full scabbards and other furnishings. To my eye, the other two look like garden-variety wakizashi, and the furnishings look very common, if not downright cheap. The first sword, however, might be something interesting. . 

• Like 2

Hi, name please,

Here is a sword care and etiquette web page: http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm You would be smart to read it twice.

All 3 of your swords are real and worthy of preservation but not necessarily a polish now.  If you take some time to learn more about Nihonto before you consider polish you will be more able to appreciate the work and less likely to screw up the new (and expensive) polish shortly after it is done.  Go slow and take time to learn; this is a fascinating study.

Grey

Thanks Steve , the interpretation is intriguing....to say the least. This blade, like I said, was found in the earthen floor of an old barn in Alabama. My father gave a twenty dollar bill for it...he was fortunate ,it seems. And that is what the guy that found it wanted for it. So yeah, it needs to be restored, in my opinion. Perhaps a recommendation can be made as to who can do this correctly? One more question regarding Sword #3 , what do the gold emblems indicate?

Grey, I also am appreciative of your advice as well. Taking it real slow...as you suggest. I have some reading to do, and I will take a triple take on this read.and yes, this is all fascinating to me.

Hello Chris - at the top of this page there should be a LINKS button that will jump to a page that has sword restoration info and links to qualified people who can do this. Also, if you do a search on "sword polishers" you should get a gazillion hits. The decoration on the fittings of your sword #3 look to be peonies - a common theme, often found on fittings. 

To clarify, I think the first one is also a wakizashi. Wakizashi are not as loved as katana-length swords. However, the top one carries the name of a smith of some reputation. Assuming the rust is not too deep into the steel, and there are no fatal flaws, and the inscription is real (all of these are three huge assumptions), the sword will be interesting for a collector. 

1st one is 

陸奥守吉行

Mutsu-no-kami Yoshiyuki  (meaning: Yoshiyuki, Lord of Mutsu Province). 

In this context, "Lord" is an honorary title, and doesn't imply political power. If authentic, this sword will be a nice one to have in the collection. It should go to a professional Japanese sword polisher to get the care it deserves. I am more optimistic about this one than in the other two, even though the others might seem like nicer eye-candy since they come with the full scabbards and other furnishings. To my eye, the other two look like garden-variety wakizashi, and the furnishings look very common, if not downright cheap. The first sword, however, might be something interesting. .

Steve, I am getting mixed results when I search this name. What period would this piece possibly be from? Can you direct me to a bibliography of this gentleman? Wow...if what I am reading is what we have.....Yes, it was a real barn find....buried in the dirt.

Period would be mid-to-late 1600s. 

I don't have a bibliography of him. I don't know how much information on him exists in English. You can find his name in the English swordsmith compendiums (Markus Sesko's comes to mind). 

Right now this swordsmith is used as a character in a popular Japanese video game, so searching for him online will produce a lot of distracting hits. 

Let me also add that there are an astonishing number of forgeries in the Japanese sword world. One always has to be a bit suspicious of "barn finds" with names of reputable swordsmiths inscribed on them. They fall into the same category as garage-sale discoveries of Van Goghs. What I mean is, occasionally we see in the news about some great discovery like this, and it always make the blood rush a bit to the head, but the unfortunate truth is that many times (most times?) they turn out to be fakes.  

• Like 2

A couple months ago, while my father was checking in on his business in Alabama, a country boy , who was tearing down an old barn, found this embedded in the dirt, and asked my father if he wanted it for 20 dollars. He bought it . Wow.....everything looks as if it might be....man if it is....

The thing is, if it is a forgery, it would have been counterfeited 100s of years before it ever made its way to the US. Counterfeiting swords is something that predates the founding of the United States. 

Anyway, like I say, from my amateur's perspective, looking at photographs through internet, I think your sword #1 is interesting and deserves a close look from someone who knows more than me.  

According to Markus Sesko's eSwordsmiths of Japan there are two smiths with this name and the "Mutsu kami" title, there's some detail about the earlier one:

YOSHIYUKI (吉行), Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Tosa – “Mutsu no Kami Yoshiyuki” (陸奥守吉行), “Yoshiyuki” (吉行), real name Morishita Heisuke (森下平助), he was the second son of Harima no Kami Yoshinari (播磨守吉成), that means he was the younger brother of Kōzuke no Kami Yoshikuni (上野守吉国), later he was adopted into the Yamaoka family (山岡) and took their family name, like his father and older brother he studied in Ōsaka under the Tanba no Kami Yoshimichi lineage (丹波守吉道), he came originally from Nakamura (中村) in Ōshū but settled later in Tosa´s Kōchi (高知), he worked in the style of his master, gunome with chōji-ashi, wazamono, chū-saku

YOSHIYUKI (吉行), Bunkyū (文久, 1861-1864), Tosa – “Mutsu no Kami Yoshiyuki” (陸奥守吉行)

Thank you Shugyosha. I am so intrigued. I am trying to find an appraiser here in Alaska, no luck as of yet. A Dr Lori, who advertises online appraisals, declined to do an online appraisal, wants to see this Sword in person. So. Back to square one. If anyone has a listing for a collector or appraiser in Alaska, Anchorage area, please share with me. I am on a mission of authentification for this blade. My business does not permit me to just get on a plane and fly out to the Lower 48, unfortunately.

Back to google, looking for an expert here in Alaska....

Chris,

I understand your hesitation, however many of us send and recieve blades regularly, and it works out fine. I've used both US Postal and Fedex with no problems (only problem was with USPS to Australia. They contract with Emerates, who refuse to accept blades).

Mailing a blade without koshirae, requires care. I use David Hofine's method of wiring the blade to a 1x2 board, then paper, packing tape, and good padding in the box. I'm posting a pic of mine that I sent for polish.

post-3487-0-01151700-1538516935_thumb.jpg

I want to personally thank everyone that has been helping me here. It appears that we have much more than just a blade. Indications of authenticity and ideas have been presented that we are in possession of a cultural treasure. Let me ask you guys....What would You do if you were in my shoes? How would you proceed? Would I be wrong in asking, if authentic, what the value of this Japanese Sword would be? As I stated, I believe now that it is worth more than money. Still, I have to ask....What Do I do now?

Chris,

I understand your hesitation, however many of us send and recieve blades regularly, and it works out fine. I've used both US Postal and Fedex with no problems (only problem was with USPS to Australia. They contract with Emerates, who refuse to accept blades).

Mailing a blade without koshirae, requires care. I use David Hofine's method of wiring the blade to a 1x2 board, then paper, packing tape, and good padding in the box. I'm posting a pic of mine that I sent for polish.

I thank you Bruce. Still trying to breathe here, and moving very carefully. Conferring with family after while. My guess is one of us will be going out of state for a few days for an appraisal. Mailing may be a less expensive option. This is why I would like to know what potential value could be.

Again, I wish to thank everyone. A very knowledgeable gentleman, with impeccable background (a PHD ) was kind enough to take the time and give me an evaluation. I will leave his name out, out of respect of privacy, unless he chooses otherwise. I called his association- turns out he is also a member here. I owe many thanks to him, certainly. His evaluation, so very well written, follows....

“ Okay, Chris, looking at the photos from the link, you have what's called a wakizashi, which is a Japanese blade between 12"-24" long on the hacho, the cutting edge. The sugata, or overall shape looks to be Kanbun-Shinto, which is mid-1600s. Looking at the nakago, the mekugiana, or hole, has been drilled, rather than chiseled, which, again, puts the time of its manufacture after 1600.

From the amount of rust on the blade, I doubt that more photos will tell me very much, to be honest. I just checked on the mei & see that you've already contacted the Nihonto Message Board, where I'm a member. The Mutsu-no-kami Yoshiyuki signature can be seen at ( https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/YOS1044),& there might be some history around the blade IF the signature is valid.

The problem is, quite simply, that the blade would first need to be professionally polished, at around $100/inch. Then it would need a new habaki that fits in the blade in front of the nakago, which adds about $350, plus a new shirasaya, or wooden storage case, $400, So, now the wakizashi is prepared, you would send it off to Japan to the NBTHK shinsa, which would authenticate the blade, adding several hundred dollars for the agent to handle the blade's transfer, plus anywhere from $100-$350 for the authentication. Then you would know if your blade was really made by Yoshiyuki...& the blade would probably have a market value of about $1200, depending on whether there are any major flaws that show up during polishing.

Supposedly, a blade made by that smith was used by a famous Japanese statesman, Sakamoto Ryoma, during a fight that killed him, but the actual blade is in a Kyoto museum. So, my professional opinion is to just put some penetrating oil on the blade, & let it soak with a towel wrapped around it. Some of the rust should come off, so it will look cleaner, but you'll never get a clean-looking blade without having it polished, & it just doesn't look like it's worth the money.”

Again, I am so appreciative.

If that Dr Lori is who I think she is..avoid like the plague. Katara..umm...pffft.
Don't get carried away. The sword isn't a National Treasure. There are millions of original swords out there. Get it looked at, at one of the sword shows. But it isn't tens of thousands. 1500's in sword terms isn't even very old. This field goes back pre 1100's.

If that Dr Lori is who I think she is..avoid like the plague. Katara..umm...pffft.

Don't get carried away. The sword isn't a National Treasure. There are millions of original swords out there. Get it looked at, at one of the sword shows. But it isn't tens of thousands. 1500's in sword terms isn't even very old. This field goes back pre 1100's.

Yes I agree. She declined, and wanted to see in person. However, what got me fired up was comments from a very well known sword polisher. We all hope for the find of a lifetime, so now, it is a piece to look at, and wonder about. The well known polisher stated it should be returned to his descendants. That is not out of the question either. However, for now- I feel privileged to have discovered that it is not just a piece of 20 dollar junk, as it was once thought. And, I made my Father’s Day...That is what is important. Perhaps, this is the start of my collection? I must admit, I may have been indoctrinated. And I could not have done all this without the members of this awesome forum. So again, Thanks Everybody.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..