Help With Seppa Kanji Please!

Thanks Stephen!

This isn't mine. I beleive I saved it off the "Arsenal Stamps" thread. I'll go back and re-check. I'm updating my Stamps Document, with seppa stamping, and this is now the second seppa I have found with a person's name on it (the other one is simply "Sato" in katakana).

Hi Bruce, do you have a shot from sideways on?

Looking at the mixed metal colours together with the slight curved depression at midpoint 3 o'clock in image 2 suggesting a Kodzuka pocket on the original Saya, and the deep shadows in the nakago ana, I wonder if this is in fact a Fuchi?

And as StevenK points out, the flat plane of a Fuchi is called Tenjo Gane.

Which would explain the lower symbol as a Kao or formal art signature maybe?

:)

Looking at the mixed metal colours together with the slight curved depression at midpoint 3 o'clock in image 2 suggesting a Kodzuka pocket on the original Saya, and the deep shadows in the nakago ana, I wonder if this is in fact a Fuchi?

And as StevenK points out, the flat plane of a Fuchi is called Tenjo Gane.

Which would explain the lower symbol as a Kao or formal art signature maybe?

By Jove, you’re right! I’m surprised I didn’t see it before! It’s either a fuchi or a koiguchi.

Hi Bruce,

I'd suggest Fuchi as opposed to Koiguchi, notice the width of the Nakago ana think of adding the width of a Habaki to pass through it which would make a much broader ana in all directions.

And a workable tip for working out which way Kanji are up is think of a roof  谷 and legs 花 and remember some roofs are flat 竜.

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes, fuchi, curved depression does indicate made for a side fitting pocket and this fuchi will be in all probability of wakizashi in size.

Any chance of seeing the work?

Thank you.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco

Hello,

Yes, fuchi, curved depression does indicate made for a side fitting pocket and this fuchi will be in all probability of wakizashi in size.

Any chance of seeing the work?

Sorry, this just a picture I saved from another thread, and I don’t recall where I got it.

Thank you.

sorry Bruce you can see how i jumped the gun...i hope anyway

post-110-14196753954917.jpg

Sure, Stephen, I’m just amazed at what you guys do!

So, did we come up with a definitive translation?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..