Late War Gunto With Rattan Wrap

Ed

The koshirae for this sword is what has always been incorrectly referred to as a "Marine Landing Sword".  These late war swords had nothing to do with Marine or Naval landings and in fact were made for Army officers. 

The Rattan wrap is unusual but not unheard of, this being the first one I have seen in years.  I honestly have no idea why they were wrapped this way or by whom.  As there is no documented evidence of this being in any way a standard or accepted military wrap, one can only assume that this was done in the field as a means of securing it or by a GI for whatever reason.

Any relevant and documented information would be appreciated.

post-10-0-13120000-1537822856_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ed,

I've seen these discussed before. Here's a thread at Wehrmacht-awards where Bob Coleman feels the one in question was wrapped in the Phillipines. If you're a member there, this would be a good one to add to the discussion. If not, I could post the pic for you.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327661&highlight=rattan+wrap&page=2

I know I've seen more, but this is the only thread I can find right now.

And yes, this one is commonly called the Type 3, '44 model, Contingency model, Rinji model, etc.

Thanks for the info guys. 

Bruce, I was familiar with the Type 3 designation, but haven't heard the terms '44 model, Contingency model, Rinji model, etc. While I have seen a few of these rattan wrapped specimens over the years I have never seen any documented evidence as to who or why they were wrapped this way.

Chris, no it is not the same sword as the one in your link.  Look closely at the tsuka, it is wrapped differently.

The blade in this one is signed Katsumasa and dated Showa Ku Hachi Nen Ku Ni Gatsu.  Dated Showa but no Showa Stamp.

post-10-0-58344200-1537906256_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-11873200-1537906268_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bruce, I went and looked at that post, but it is from 2008.  Probably a little late to be adding to it.

If you think there is anyone interested, I can make a new post ?

Ed, yes please! We collectors are learning as we go, over time. Every update is important!

My gut is with Vajo on this - the fittings seem to have bee installed after the wrap. The ashi is not removable, as I understand them, so, it would seem to me that it was put on after the wrap was installed, making it original to the saya. Quite interesting piece!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..