Leather Saya Cover

Mark C

Gentleman, leather is a living product. If it dry out it is dead. If it gets hard it will break. If it is broken it is lost.

So you must take to treat leather a little bit. Leather needs fat. If the leather is healthy give some "Vaseline" on it. No parfume, no water. Water is poison for leather it will dry out. Leather needs fat. 

Old classic leather intereur the COLOURLOCK Elephant Leatherfat is a very good use. In my village there is a car museum with very old cars from 1900 to present they use this for seats and for restauration.

If the leather is broken and dead you can try to use "Nivea" for saving the present state.

Edit: We have here in the board a chemestry Mareo (Marco) he can maybe explain it better in english than i. These old saya leather is more than 70 years old. It is magic that so many of this saya leather has overlived that long time with no treat, that speaks for the very good quality of Japanese leather. But in the end we must care for it (a little bit).

• Like 6

I have to agree with the use of products to preserve the leather. Chris is spot on - without care leather will dry, crack and be very difficult to restore. I spent months finding my product, as most contain chemicals that will eventually have a detrimental effect on the leather or whatever it's attached to.

Hello,

In the U.K have used Renaissance micro crystalline wax and Pecard leather dressing a very good U.S product.....The 200ml pot of Renaissance has lasted years on dozens of saya..

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

lots of food for thought, The leather is in pretty good shape being soft and not cracked, It has a few marks but thats to be expected after 70 years.

Never though of Vaseline, Will get a tin of elephant leatherfat and already have a tin of natural Dubbin.

I will monitor the condition and treat accordingly.

All the best

Mark

• Like 2

Hi All,

I have several Gunto's with leather covers over the saya and wondered if you guys treat the leather or leave well alone?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

All the best

Mark

Mark, you are going to thank me for this one. At a gunshow I found a great product for old leather. What conditions it different than just treating the leather (which I recommend) this product liquifies the dye that on the leather so you can push it over the unstained areas. So in effect it evens out the color and makes it look great again. The product comes in a paste I bought two jars because I have worked with leather for decades. The only downside is that it makes the leather glossy. It is called  Urad -total leather care. the number on the jar is  800 -910-0027.  nor 514- 389-9909. The jar says it is made in Canada good luck

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..