Kanenori

nambo

the papers don't give any indication that i see........... So if they say Kanenori with those kanji then i think the Kanenori from Mino Seki circa 1504, he is in Fujishiro and most of the minor ones aren't, i would think if they meant one of the Echizen, etchu or Shinto they would have said. My understanding is if they say a smith without additional info they mean the "main" or major guy......

• Like 3

The sugata feels osuriage earlier Koto. But the workmanship seems to match this description (courtesy M Sesko) better, given the flamboyant, Bizen-style hamon and also what I think I see as patches of shiraki utsuri.

What are the dimensions (width, thickness), etc?

KANENORI (兼則), Eishō (永正, 1504-1521), Mino – “Nōshū-jū Kanenori” (濃州住兼則), “Kanenori” (兼則),

San´ami school, he made mostly katana with a stout sugata and a rather wide mihaba, the jigane is a dense ko-itame with

shirake-utsuri, some blades show a mizukage-like utsuri at the base, the hamon is a suguha or gunome, sometimes with ko-ashi,

but we also know a suguha with nijūba or a relative flamboyant koshi-no-hiraita gunome-midare which is mixed with chōji, the

bōshi is either sugu with a ko-maru-kaeri, a midare-komi that tends to jizō, or ends in a pointed manner, the yasurime are

takanoha on katana and higaki on tantō, he signed in a rather powerful manner with a thick chisel along the shinogi-ji of the

tang, wazamono, chū-jō-saku

• Like 1

Given the length now, this would have been a reasonably long blade (late 70s or even 80cm). I would qualify it as “slender” given the thickness and mihaba as well.

By the way, whoever did the osuriage seems to have retained a small proportion of the original nakago there.

Again - to me this supports the theory for an older Kanenori.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..