Pictures Of "tanker"

Okay, the picture of the 95 drew me in! Yep, agree that's what it appears to be, which considering the tassel makes sense.

The short sword myth was dispelled years ago, Jareth. But it is a good marketing ploy, so it's sure to stay with us for a long time yet!

I thought I'd post a couple of the wakizashi in my collection, as newer members may not have seen them and they're interesting (well I think so).

First, my lovely little wak in naval koshirae. It's JUST too long to classify as a tanto, but you can see that in comparison, it's really short. Old blade signed, little ware but still nice and solid. The koshirae is sized appropriately, with a very petite tsuka. The kabuto-gane appears to be regular size, as does the tsuba. Obviously the habaki is custom, and the sarute is silk.

The wakizashi in shirasaya is old but low quality. No awards for this, though you can see the hamon which is nice. Sadly you can also see the patches of rust on the blade which I suspect are finger prints. The shirasaya is covered in leather for wartime use, which other than the handle has survived really well. It's a nice little piece, which given my fondness of leather covered swords (don't read into), has managed to avoid the cull I did 10 years ago. It's also not likely to be worth much, so why get rid of something you like and appreciate if it won't even fetch a 95?

Enough rambling.

post-3293-0-57730800-1555316970_thumb.jpg

post-3293-0-44452100-1555316982_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..