Jsc-Mw: Tanto Lecture And Huge Display

Our next meeting will be in conjunction with The Arts and Arms of the Samurai show.  As  with last year, Markus Sesko and Chris Bowen have graciously offered their time and expertise to help make this a memorable event. Information on the show can be found HERE

JSC-MW Meeting Details:

The focus of our meeting will be the history of the tanto and a focus on it's role from the Meiji - Showa era. We will also be providing a display of Gendai tanto that will be one of, if not the largest display of its kind in the West.

Entry Cost:

As this is a fund raising event for the JSC-MW, I will ask for a modest $20 donation to attend the lectures and see the display.  If you're unable to attend the lectures and would like to view the display only, I would request a $10 donation.

Please see below for topics and schedule:

Saturday, October 20th from 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm

2:00: Room Open

2:15: Markus Sesko

The history of the Tanto, Classification, Types and Styles, including Q&A

3:00: Chris Bowen

A study and lecture on the Gendai tanto (Meiji through Showa), including Q&A

4:00 - 6:00: Display of Gendai Tanto

This conglomeration of tanto, created from the Meiji through Showa eras, will constitute one of, if not the largest displays of it's kind ever in the West.  Don't miss this amazing opportunity to view blades created by the top craftsmen of their time.

More Information please feel free to CONTACT ME

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Just a gentle reminder on this. If you can attend, it will be well worth your while. We have been able to assemble nearly 40 Tanto from some of the best makers of the Meiji-Showa eras (Sadakatsu, Akihide, Toshihide, Okimasa, and of course Shigetsugu to name very few).

We will have a handout from Chris’ lecture with mei and nenki translations, but I will also have a mock-up/example of a book/catalog I will be making on the display. There will be color photos of the blades, nakago, measurements, and details on the smith’s from Markus’ soon to come gendai project where available and where unavailable, details from Markus’ index (and maybe some other info where available).

I will try to get an “org chart” layout of the smith’s “lineage”, but no promises on that one.

I’ve yet to decide on a price, but the book will be spiral bound, color, and should be in the ballpark of 50 pages. I will be offering the option for advance purchase the book for a discount. This will help me not over purchase.

Once I complete the mock-up and come up with pricing details, I’ll post it here.

If you’re going to be able to swing through, I look forward to seeing you again or meeting you for the first time. Stop by and say hi!

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..