Ishido Korekazu Nanadai

I thought I would post a few photos of a comparison of a seventh generation Ishido Korekazu that I bought at Aoi a year ago or so and a similar sword on the site right now (which happens to be juyo).  I am astounded about the uniformity of production, appearance, signature, date etc.  To imagine pounding a sword out with hammers and ending up with two items so similar is mind boggling.  They were made a year or two apart.  The Aoi blade is juyo and mine is in shinsa right now (fingers still crossed!).  I have done my best to put together photos of various elements for the comparison.  They are nearly the same length but mine is much wider.  (I think that there is an error in the width near the kissaki in the current listing).  I look forward to hearing any comments you might have.  One thing that I note is that the order number starts with 17 with mine but starts with 15 with the one listed now.  I seem to recall an NMB member stating that the first two numbers are the year.  Does that mean that the one listed now has been at Aoi since 2015? Cheers, Bob

post-620-0-91430100-1537028293_thumb.png

post-620-0-83677900-1537028311_thumb.png

post-620-0-11139000-1537028326_thumb.png

post-620-0-12680600-1537028364_thumb.png

• Like 2

Good luck for the shinsa, yours seems to be a good sword. I am quite clueless about these new swords and their rankings but the smith is remarkable for the period I think. The Jūyō sword is actually slightly wider than yours in profile having less profile taper, going from 3,1 cm to 2,4 cm. You can see correct data on their Japanese page: https://www.aoijapan.jp/%E5%88%80%EF%BC%9A%E7%9F%B3%E5%A0%82%E9%81%8B%E5%AF%BF%E6%98%AF%E4%B8%80-%E6%96%87%E4%B9%85%E4%BA%8C%E5%B9%B4%E5%85%AB%E6%9C%88%E6%97%A5%E7%AC%AC49%E5%9B%9E%E9%87%8D%E8%A6%81%E5%88%80%E5%89%A3/

I think Aoi sells lots of commission items as you can often see swords pop up for sale that have been previously sold by them. They have all the info ready so they often use the same info texts. I mined interesting stuff (in my view) from Aoi website and came to conclusion that their item number dates to the first time the item appeared in their inventory. Some items have gone through them at least 3 times over the last 10 - 15 years. So in this case I believe the Jūyō Korekazu sword was first in their inventory in the very late 2015. And you can see in the current item listing that it came to sale again 24.8.2018.

• Like 1

Hi Big.  This is the thread that triggered me to buy it.  No regrets at all.  The dimensions are deceiving - it looks like a skinny short wak until you see the size of it.  Also, it has a cutting test that was overlooked and a carving in the tang.  Cheers, bob

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/as16144-脇差:彫三日月-大慶直胤-花押乳割土壇拂吉田文平-文化五年中秋上旬-wakizashi-hori-mikaduki-taikei-naotane-kao

• Like 2

I will try my best once it is back from shinsa Greg.  I do wonder how the Aoi photos were taken.  If they use a flat bed, it may emphasize the hada more than one sees in person.  I am not great at taking hada photos but it is time I learned.  b

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..