Gunto?

Blazeaglory

I think that's the definition?

Anyways its a ww2 bring back. I didn't have time to remove the tsuka but it's either signed and dated or just dated. My friend said it translated to 1943. Everything you see is how it's been since 1943. Some chips and scratches have been added sadly

Some of the files are to large for upload

post-4634-0-41406300-1536871941_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-35663200-1536872023_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-88510000-1536872036_thumb.jpg

Hello again.

Not much is known about this blade. The story goes as they were bulldozing blades into the harbor many soldiers did not want to see them destroyed. They were grabbing them as many as could carry. My friends grandfather stood by watching somewhat amused not really wanting a sword. Hours later word came down they were allowed only two items to bring back. So many soldiers began trading swords and the ones who had too many were walking around shouting "extra sword extra sword". It was at this time that a soldier came to my friends grandfather and said "TAKE IT". A few years later at home when the grandfather had some young children one of the boys stole the sword for the day and began CHOPPING BRICKS. Well when grandfather found him he got a butt whipping.

Sword has never been altered except for that incident so anything on this would be original. Along with the long red tassel there is also a shorter yellow tassel. The nakago has lots of writing but he didn't want to get technical so I just took pictures of what I could.

Here's a different angle of tsuba. All the good pics are too large to upload it seems

post-4634-0-87282500-1536934505_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-19625600-1536934546_thumb.jpg

Can we see the yellow tassel?

The pic with yellow tassel directly is too large to post but if you look at last photo above you can see it hiding behind the saya. It's a smaller tassel. I didn't even notice it until now and I've been admiring this blade for 20 years lol

Looks more gold actually

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..