Please Give Me Your Opinion

Ohtar

Eric,

the blade has, as you see, some defects, and the signature looks redone to me at a later date. Probably, the blade has been shortened longtime ago and lost the original MEI (signature). .
The mountings are not complete (TSUBA, FUCHI and SEPPA are missing), the damaged TSUKA (handle) shows an attempt to make a MENUKI. 

Market value may be something like € 400.--, but it is not a good purchase if you are interested in real collectibles.

This is just my personal opinion; others may see this differently.

• Like 2

the lack of tsuba i was thinking if was donne on purpose because the taste of the owner, seems that all katana fits well like a more hidden wakisashi or something like that, the kashitra and fuchi is a wood made or a simple metalic piece? i cant see it well.

the habaki seems rare too, the thing is i liked the originality thinking was do on porpouse, like personalized zippos in wwII all diferents, not a creap arrengement. thnk you rokujuro, what do you think of my thoughts?

Hi Eric,

Jean has given you good advice. The piece is strange and problemed, investing additional time and money to straighten things out is a waste. After the effort and expense your still left with something that has  'issues'.  Look for a better piece, there are plenty of good  quality, modestly priced, swords availble in this category.

-S-

Dear Eric.

The purpose behind this koshirae is to persuade someone to buy it.  This was not done by a samurai or indeed anyone in Japan.  A sword with many missing parts has been made saleable but only just.  The habaki is meant to be  a ganseki style but I think is a modern one and not Japanese.  This is a Japanese blade but Jean is absolutely correct.

All the best.

Generaly speaking I am all in favour of "project swords", but this one has me unhappy. Chopped nakago (why) and what looks like an "enhanced" blade. I would like a look at the kisaki on this one as well, and in addition the 'machi look a bit worn. I fear that this one might be a section of a blade, rather than a legitimate suriage.I could be wrong, I often am... but unless this is going for peanuts I would walk away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..