My First Display

Blazeaglory

Dwain,

Looks Good! And the books are encouraging....readings a good thing.

Cheers,

-S-

Thanks! I'm a little embarrassed after seeing the collections of others but I'm sure you remember that feeling when you fist discovered "Nihonto" instead of jyst "samurai sword"

Soon to be added tanto

https://flic.kr/p/29Cmo5T

D

• Like 1

Dwain,

Everbody must start somewhere and yours is better than most, just continue on the same track and you'll do fine.  Many beginners run amok, like a Great White during a feeding frenzy, indiscriminately grabbing every thing before them.  A carefully considered approach yields the best results.

Carry on,

-S-

I believe, according to tradition, that in oorder to demonstrate "peacefull intentions", the handles(tsukas) should be displayed on the left side.

Yes true I've read that as well but I thought that only applied to transfer of gifts or actual presenting ceremony? It was suggested that the blade would be harder to draw from the left side?

Either way I like that you mentioned that! I think ill change them today! Also it will give me more time to admire the craftsmanship ;-) thank you!

Dwain,

Everbody must start somewhere and yours is better than most, just continue on the same track and you'll do fine. Many beginners run amok, like a Great White during a feeding frenzy, indiscriminately grabbing every thing before them. A carefully considered approach yields the best results.

Carry on,

-S-

Actually I almost did that. I passed up a really nice bring back tanto that was dated to 14 century because of no polish and almost bought something new that was labeled as something old just because it had a nice polish but after reading I started noticing the different subtleties and passed.

I spent a little over $500 for the Edo Wakizashi which I feel comfortable with. It is actually made very well and has a "cormarant(sp) birds neck" mune. The blade is a little tired and has some small blemishes but nothing major and no rust. Plus the thing is still razor sharp. The kogatana is still razor sharp too lol

https://flic.kr/p/29Vfbww

https://flic.kr/p/29Vfbxo

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..