In Need Of A Little Tlc!

I have recently acquired a matchlock which some fool was trying to sell on ebay in the UK... in parts.

The reason this was done, I guess, is because he could not figure any other way to sell it (you are not allowed to sell gun parts, such as barrels, on ebay here in the UK).

So... I have a nice looking musket, in I think, usable condition BUT with some damage - as seen below - the 'gent' used a knife to prize off all the brass work and something like a hammer to remove the barrel - which has cracked some of the wood along the barrel channel and has broken a small piece off.

It sounds bad but... I have a good supply of Japanese Oak to repair the missing piece of barrel channel wood. The cracks are repairable and I think will be virtually indistinguishable by the time I have finished with them them. I am however missing just a few pieces of brass as he had sold them before we could get to it.

My questions are two fold really.

1. Was there a trade just producing the brass inlays? I have seen a number of guns with pretty much / exactly the same brass parts and patterns?

&

2. is there a source for parts (reproduction or original) - though I realize there will be some small differences in sizes?

I have a sympathetic gunsmith who can do all the repairs required and who can re manufacture parts but I wondered if there was a way I could be more involved with the missing aesthetic pieces of brass.

Thoughts appreciated,

Jon

post-2623-0-28601400-1536751997_thumb.jpg

post-2623-0-01712600-1536752011_thumb.jpg

post-2623-0-41746200-1536752025_thumb.jpg

post-2623-0-98594600-1536752039_thumb.jpg

Dear Jon.

Well done for rescuing this one.  If I weas taking on this task I would use some thin paper to take a rubbing of the area to be replaced and glue that to some sheet brass of the appropriate thickness.  Then I would cut it out with a piercing saw and file to fit.  Your man has left some brass pins embedded in the stock but you could rotate the design by one lobe and fix into fresh wood.  Often these pieces have engraving, how do you feel about taking that on?

There may be other pieces missing and you could really do with one as a reference. one you can take apart and copy.  Not sure where you are in the UK but someone might have a one near you.  Google Saki matchlock and you will find lots of images of course.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

All the best.

Hello, Jon!

Had the same problem with one of mine that i sold recently. Would be nice and also quite cheap to find factory made brass pieces, but I did not find any.

After some search I decided to give it to an small workshop of a local goldsmith. The lady working there, did a nice brass jigsaw work and engraved the little pieces. It were just the little kiku flowers, though. After som artificial wear and some patination they looked perfectly original.

With the many pieces missing on your gun, it will cost you a few hundred bucks, though.

Best, Martin

Googling Sakai, Sesshu, Settsu, Osaka, Tanegashima, Japanese matchlock etc., is a great idea and should bring up many images of brass decorations on these most gaudy of guns.

There may have been drawers of such decorations at the various gun-stock manufacturers in Sakai, but you would be lucky to find a bag of them today. As far as I know thay are not still being produced. Your idea to recreate is good, but be aware that the large 'medallion' might well have been done in layered brass, copper and silver, rather like a flatter version of the Teppen/Hachimanza on a Kabuto. The central hole if not cut right through the butt would have been a match snuffer. The wood itself looks very good.

• Like 1

Hi Gents,

Many thansk for your speedy responses.

I'll post up a full picture of the gun later tonight, so you can look at it, as I also have some questions as to the date and style...

I have seen a number of muskets with very very similar in decoration (and location of the decoration) which will give me a good idea of how to replicate the missing bits...for instance:

9964365_4.jpg?v=8CD4D9B4488E5C0

Again many thanks Jon

Piers, 

Thank you for the above... I've spent ages trying to find the clan name....I like a bit of research... but had hit a wall..

I have taken another photo of the barrel.. I had not realized I'd cut off a kanji.... It looks like I have some work to do on translations  :laughing:

Niju makibari - Two Wraps or Double Layer  (http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/15595-teppo-nomenclature/) 

are you able to comment on the location of manufacture and age?

again thank you for your help!

Jon

post-2623-0-81678100-1536789917_thumb.jpg

post-2623-0-49881900-1536789929_thumb.jpg

Whoever read that Mei has done a good job, Jon! (It is almost illegible.)

Your Smith lived and worked in the most famous gun-smithing village of Kunitomo, east of Lake Biwa. I have found a gun listed for him of 2.5 Monme, also double-helix barrel wrap, a relatively narrow-bore long gun. Sadly there is no mention of when he worked, as that gun is not dated either. The gun is gaudily decorated, reminiscent more of Sakai. For a number of small but not conclusive reasons I would say mid to late Edo.

• Like 1

Somewhere in the vast chaos of my files I have a photo or two of a kakae zutsu by KYUBEI.  This massive gun had a bore of some 25mm AND was a san ju makibari.  When I find the details I'll post them, but for heaven's sake don't anyone hold their breath waiting...  I had the gun in hand for a brief moment in time before it was sold elsewhere, now a very long time ago.  I truly had trouble holding it due to its great weight.

BaZZa.

Hi Piers,

I have recently been in contact with a gent in America called Takehito Jimbo - as well as some of his colleagues who contribute to a Japanese history e-magazine. I have recently had an article in the magazine (with regard to a previous percussion Japanese Musket you helped with the translation on) and Takehito and a number of others - including Francis Allan - have kindly given me a lot of information on muzzle loading Enfield Rifles and their role in the development of Japan in the 1860's, for a book I'm writing... 

Takehito did the translation for me, though they and I were struggling with the Mon.

My gun is 3 Monme by the way.

Thank you again, Jon

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..