Mune Shinae ?

Bryce

G'day Guys,

I have a mumei shinshinto katana that has a series of transverse cracks running across the mune. The cracks are very short and confined to only one side of the mune. Are these cracks called mune shinae and are they are a serious flaw? I am familiar with shinae caused by bending, but these are cracks rather than wrinkles. I was assured by the seller that because they don't run right across the mune, they aren't a serious issue, but I am sure they can't be a good thing? It is a shame because (to my novice eyes) the blade is very beautiful with a very bright hamon and prominent jihada. The blade has old NBTHK papers from the 70's attributing it to Kanenaga.

Cheers,

Bryce

post-4583-0-44039000-1536715049_thumb.jpg

post-4583-0-13858700-1536715071_thumb.jpg

post-4583-0-07703900-1536715086_thumb.jpg

post-4583-0-23767300-1536715103_thumb.jpg

post-4583-0-99833000-1536715137_thumb.jpg

Looks like physical damage and recent too, the slight red rust and almost even spacing of the damage is an indication. Could it have been an attempt at cleaning up using a tool or such?

G'day Guys,

With the benefit of having the sword in hand, I would say they are definitely cracks, rather than some sort of damage. They are very small and can't be detected by running a cotton bud over them. I haven't tried. but I would think your fingernail may slightly catch in them.

Rayhan, it may be a trick of the light as there is no sign of red rust.

Cheers,

Bryce

Shinae being wrinkles caused by straightening a bent sword do not appear as cracks unless extreme and fatal, or, internal cracks appear when being polished. Is this not correct? Whether these are originally shinae, I don't know, but, it worries me about the integrity of the sword's internal structure. John

Dear Bryce

My apologies, I have looked at it on the desktop (was on mobile before) so yes, no red rust.

Could be from the forging in that particular area, still a nice sword though

Ray

Bryce,

if you compare with real SHINAE, you will see that your sword does not have them. I think it is safe to say that these are forging flaws from insufficient welding in the SHIN-GANE. I don't think it is a technical flaw that would have weakened the blade in combat, but it surely is an aesthetic drawback which might be the reason for the missing MEI in an otherwise beautiful blade. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..