Gunbai (War Fan) Tsuba

JohnTo

Hi guys

This maru gata iron sukashi tsuba has a design of large gunbai (war fan) enclosed by a square profiled mimi.  Dimensions: Height:   7.05 cm, Width:   6.75 cm, Thickness:  0.4 cm

The tsuba is unsigned but I have tentatively attributed it to the Kinai Echizen school based upon the gently sculpted fan and chords in katachi bori (carving the design in the round into the surface of the iron plate), black patina and fine gold nunome inlay.  The Echizen Kinai did not seem to be shy about signing their work, and as this is a design outside their usual production of dragons, aoi leaves and carp, I would have expected it to have been signed; if it was made by them.  My alternative assignments are (Bizen) Shoami based upon mumei Echizen style tsuba I have seen, or possible Ono (guessing here).   The tsuba has a pair of kogai hitsu, one of which is plugged with shakudo.  I would date the tsuba a second half of the 18thC.  But please challenge my attributions.

There are several interesting features about this tsuba about which I seek info and comments, as follows:

Gunbai (fan) design:  The large gunbai that takes up most of the space seems to be an unusual design.  I have only found illustrations of a couple of tsuba with large gunbai, although tsuba with small gunbai incorporated as part of the design are more common.  The central stem of the gunbai is curved to the left, as are the vast majority of representations that I have seen and may therefore represent a kamon (variant of of Okudaira mon?), rather than a symbol of military authority.  Additionally, the kara uchiwa (Chinese fan), also a symbol of authority and I believe was one of the items in the takarabune (treasure ship of the gods of good luck).  I have found a kamon listed as ‘maruni to uchiwa’ (circle and fan?) very similar to the design on this tsuba, but without any clan attribution (see picture).  Any information out there regarding gunbai/uchiwa fans and as to why the central stem is often shown curved whereas real gunbai stems are straight?  Also what is the difference between a gunbai and uchiwa fan?

Patina: One of the kantei points that I have used in attributing this tsuba to Kinai is the black patina, rather than the russet brown of many other schools.  However, the patina on this tsuba is glossy and resembles shakudo, whereas the patina on the couple of other Kinai tsuba that I have is dull.  The patina appears thin and has been rubbed off much of the seppa dai, exposing the shiny iron underneath.  If it was not for this evidence of wear I would have been tempted to say that the tsuba had been repatinated by a gunsmith, as it looks like the black finish of modern gun.  Perhaps the original owner wanted an iron tsuba to look like shakudo, in accordance with the Edo court requirements.

Mimi: The mimi bares traces of a silver alloy fukurin, which has mostly worn away and exposed the underlying iron, resulting in slight pitting and corrosion.  I’m not sure if the coating is substantial enough to be called a fukurin as it appears to have been rather thin.  The remaining metal has a white shiny appearance, like silver, but I hesitate to call it silver as I would expect silver to be black after all this time.  I have tsuba with ‘black silver’ and ‘silver silver’ on the same piece, so I assume that ‘silver silver’ is actually an alloy that does not darken with age (Over to you Ford?)  The thin fukurin was probably the cause of the corrosion around the mimi.  I imagine that once the fukurin became damaged, and the underlying iron was exposed, a galvanic cell (battery) would have been created between the iron and silver in which the iron (anode) corroded (rusted) once the tsuba became wet (rain, sweat). The mimi also bears traces of pine needle shaped gold nunome.

Best regards, John

(just a guy making observations, asking questions, trying to learn)

post-941-0-17308600-1536658137_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-49492800-1536658151_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-14083600-1536658164_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dear John.

I can't speak to your attribution but the bent stem of the gunbai and the flying tassels certainly give it a sense of movement which it would lack if the stem were straight.  A fan in use rather than simply an object?  I have always assumed that a fukurin was a separate component, wouldn't your example be described as having nunome zogan covering the rim?  

All the best.

• Like 1

John,

The glossy black patina is not at all unusual, it is common to many schools producing this general type of Tsuba, Chosu, Bushu, Sunagawa, Kinai,etc,etc. It is more notable for its presence though,as it is usually gone. Nice Tsuba, the gold pine needle nunome (overlay) decoration on the rim adds interest.

-S-

John -

Nice tsuba and I would agree that it shares a good number of characteristics with the Echizen Kinai school. Also, in looking at the good number of samples from the MFA site, some do appear close to that glossy black patina that is present in your photos. I am no expert so I could not say if the patina has been touched up. I wonder if part of that is due to someone's use of choji oil?

Coincidentally, I just picked up a Kinai myself but it has lost much of its deep dark color. Hoping I can gently bring it back.

Thanks for the replies.  Geraint, you are probably right about the 'fukurin' and it is nunome (inlay attached by cross hatched grooves).  Problem is that the exposed areas have slight corrosion and I can't definitely detect the anchor grooves.  Opinion seems to remain with Echizen, though others had very similar styles.  As I look in my cabinet of tsuba, this one definitely reflects the light more than my other black iron tsuba.  I guess just a more careful attention to getting a smooth shiny surface finish rather than the quirk of some other scool.

Best regards, John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..