Tachi Blade, Katana Fittings?

Jlcreid

Hello all, I'm new so I apologize up front for my ignorance... I found this Katana in Arizona around 2000. Of course I question the authenticity, but I also question the purpose of expending the effort to inscribe gibberish. The Katana-mei appears to say Sho Wa one (1926?) month, day, and year. The Tachi-mei is written in different characters or language. The blade is long (80 cm nagasa) and quite straight (14mm sori) and appears kochi-zori (?) with most of the curve within 15 cm of the handle. While it seems impossible that I stumbled upon an authentic sword, I cherish and revere it for the idea of what it might be. Any assistance translating, determining tachi versus katana origins, etc..... will be greatly appreciated. Again, I apologize for my ignorance! Instruction please.

post-4643-0-32741400-1536634394_thumb.jpg

post-4643-0-03330800-1536634428_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it's Chinese (could be, but then again, their inscriptions are usually real characters, just random combinations thereof), but am intrigued by the "translation". Who wrote that? Looks like something you would expect to find under Laura Palmer's fingernail ...  :laughing:

John,

Your pictures are very uncomplete. You should provide pictures of the kissaki at least and if possible a few of the blade. One cannot say if it is Chinese for sure but the nakago is at the least very unusual for a Showa blade, the carved date is unheard of on a nihonto (never saw one like this on forty years collecting) and the mei is inscribed in an unknown alphabet.

Can be a genuine Japanese sword with a shortened nakago on which some one has engraved a gibberish date and signature to add some value...But nothing more can be said with your pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional photos.... Even a guess at the language would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Hello John, you already received your answer up above. The marks on your sword are random scribblings. The are the work of someone trying to affect an "oriental" style, and hoping that the buyer will not have enough knowledge to recognize it as fake. 

Unfortunately the sword world is awash in fakery, and equally awash in people unable to recognize such fakery. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..