Who Do You Fly With

Dear Stephen,

I apologize if you are already aware of the following - I'm just trying to help a brother Devil Dog...  I've used a number of different airlines going to Japan and left from and via various states.  In my experience, your location and desire to save money (or not) is more of a factor than which airlines to choose.  I would use Orbitz or one of the other airfare search engines to find a good price (and let that chose the airline).  Some of them allow you to search for flexible dates and that can save a lot of money.  Having said that, I did very recently opt for a slightly higher price on JAL (+$50) to get their better service, slightly larger seat and more leg room (in addition, the plane was kept at a higher pressure, which I believe made the flight more enjoyable and the jet lag less noticeable).  They use different airplanes for certain flights so you may even want to choose a certain type of airplane and seating configuration.

I use Cathay. But worth checking Kayak to check out what is the best flights.
I don't think there is any real difference in the airlines nowadays. They are mostly all designed to kill you with blood clots.
Really want to make Japan one more time. But finances keep it out of reach every time. You must go Stephen, and especially for the social events afterwards. Hopefully we'll join you there one year. We should all plan for next year somehow.

• Like 2

I've been wondering if my clot situation would be an issue with flying. Since I am now (at the old age of 47) on blood thinners (Xarelto) for life...should I worry about air travel?
Someone at work also had a PE a few months ago. Just came off the thinners a few weeks ago and last week had 2 more clots in his lungs. I guess I'll stay on them.
Back on topic...I hate flying. But the destination makes it worthwhile, and I can't want to eat in Japan again. No such thing as too much sushi.

Hello:

For anyone flying long distances I think it is wise to get a set of measured support stockings from a medical supplies store, and be sure to get up and walk on the plane as much as possible. If there is some physician on here I'm sure there is some other " fly safe" things to keep in mind.

Arnold F.

• Like 2

Premium economy: larger seat and can sleep almost fully reclined.

Standard: smaller and upright seat throughout (with the minimal 10’degree incline or something)

It is not so much about DVT as it is about the back. It gets messed up and feels more painful/stiff in the upright seat

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..