Help With Box Translation

JPGH

Impossible for me to read. The first one looks vaguely like 扇 (fan). 

Usually you get a description of the contents, a year, and possibly the person who made it, or the person who wrote the description. This one is too far gone for me to take a guess at anything but the first one, and even that is a wild guess. 

• Like 1

Third one looks like 形 (shape). A logical guess would be 扇子形 (in the shape of a fan). And from there your mind would fill in the blanks, and you would assume the whole thing would read 扇子形根付 (netsuke in the shape of a fan). 

However the 2nd kanji looks nothing like 子 and the final kanji are unreadable, so the writing remains a mystery. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for trying to help, Steve, most appreciated!

I know the inscription is very hard to decipher due to the lid's darken tone, but could it be possible the name 'Shuzan' is there?

Or something possibly matching whatever is written on these two box lids below?

post-2821-0-37747200-1537307369_thumb.jpg

post-2821-0-87907900-1537307390_thumb.jpg

Hi Jojo,

Your last pic of the box I believe states [法眼吉村周山之作] and [仙人] in larger letters

"Hougen Yoshimura Shuzan kore saku" "Sennin (sage)". I believe Hougen is a monk/priest title bestowed.

I'm bad at reading script like in your photo of the hakogaki but at a cursory glance the first couple of lines states Yoshimura Shuzan was from Osaka and was a student of 牲川充信 Niekawa Mitsunobu, and had the Hogen title.

Hope that helps

• Like 4

Looking at Matt's post and the box, I note the box indicates the name of the teacher was Katsuragawa (川)as Morita-san says, but in fact the name of Shuzan's teacher seems to indeed have been Niegawa(川). Careless mistake by the writer of the box, or an alternative name used by the artist? 

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%90%89%E6%9D%91%E5%91%A8%E5%B1%B1

Thank you all some much for your help, I really appreciate it.

BaZZa, infrared photography is probably going to be the way to go on my box lid. I'll look into this process and see what I can find.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..