Looking For Modern Day Woodblock Printing Studio

Guest Rayhan

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any modern day woodblock printing studio's that would take a commissioned job? I wanted to get some pictures put on woodblocks, please let me know.

Brian, if this is in the wrong section please help me move it. Sorry in advance.

Thanks

Dear Rayhan,

My wife and I took a fun woodblock printing class from David Bull who owns a woodblock studio in Asakusa in Tokyo.  I'm sure that he would do it (for the right price...)   The name of his studio is Mokuhankan.  He is quite a character (I don't have any connection other than this one class).

His website is: https://mokuhankan.com/index.html

He is frequently on Japanese TV - here he is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKSrgKjevPmNZxCAyTZP5cQ

Hey Ray, 

The member's  suggestion is pretty good.

The gentleman is quite famous on NHK programs.

He also got lots of his own You Tube videos.

For  me, who does not know any Modern Day Japanese Woodblock artist, even I recognized the name..

That would be a big plus for your comissioned Piece.

David Bull is recognized by his looks, .

and, his quick whit and charming character is 'More well known"..more than his name..  :)

I was just watching one, where he was showing some small Scrapers, given to him by a famous Block Print artist.

He discovered, that, to use them, he would have to  had to change his way of carving, because his style was too hard, and, would break the Older craftsman's carvers.

but, he found he was doing better "fine Hair lines".

He also said, That artist passed away that night, or,  next day after their meeting.

Unreal, yea..   :(

I was going ask, how do artist "Mount  Ukiyo-e " on the matting without adhesives or tapes?

David Bull is a great guy, and very talented, intelligent, and animated.  :-)  I'm fairly well acquainted with him and have visited his studio many times.  We've had some very interesting conversations and I own a few of his prints including his re-creation of Hokusai's "Great Wave off Kanagawa".  If you want to see the development and production of that one, you can view it on youtube in 16 parts.  Fascinating and very educational.  

I saw him again last April and he was again expanding his shop, taking over the ground floor portion of the building as well.  He was working on a recreation of another classic Hokusai print but I'm not sure I'm at liberty to discuss it so I'll refrain. He was kind enough to show me the recently finished key block though and I told him I'll be buying a copies of it.  Just have to wait however many months or years for him to finish the color blocks in what little spare time he has.  :-)

He's incredibly busy taking care of the regular printing needs, plus his annual prints, series prints, new years cards, and print parties, running the day to day, etc., etc.,  so I doubt he'd be interested in taking on a private commission, and especially not for a print that was not "production" intended as the trade is really meant to focus on.  However, he is very approachable and kind, so one could ask him.  

I encourage everyone to visit his shop.  It's near Sensoji Temple which is also a good reason to visit the area, and it's not all that far from the new NBTHK Museum either.  About a mile and a half and across the Sumida river.  Plus, the Hokusai museum is near the NBTHK also.  He also has a nice selection of vintage/antique prints.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..