Sayagaki Help

Fudoshinken

It appears that one side may be a zodiac-based date. Possibly 卯亥, however I do not know which year that is. Following that portion, is 11th month. After may read 宗長__代昌. Sorry I cannot give more help here, but perhaps this can help someone else fill in the gaps.

The other side indicates whose collection it came from, but I can't make out the name. 

I was thinking the family name might be Katsumata (勝又) but my confidence is very low. The final kanji is (literally storehouse) and this is used to indicate "collection", as in "from the collection of the Katsumata family".

These are what come to mind, but I only have confidence in the final one: 勝又以祐澤 

Ray has the gist of the other side, but as with the above, there are illegible kanji which leave huge gaps in comprehending the thing in its entirety. 

囗囗亥十一月宗谷口昌代氏

Usually the zodiac year comes as a two-kanji set, and that allows us to pinpoint more or less the year. This one only has the one kanji, 亥. The preceding kanji seem to be their own set - so I usually think of things like 摺上 (suriage) or 無銘 (mumei). However this has none of those characteristics. The bit after the date is definitely a name, and Munenaga 宗長 is a good guess. I'm not super sure about 長, so I say that also without much confidence. After that seems to be Taniguchi Masashiro-shi, which is a regular name. In this case I would look in the references to find if any smiths using the name Munenaga had the real name of Taniguchi. Most times smiths used art names, which were different from their birth names (and some changed their art names several times throughout their lives). I just did a quick check and nothing obvious jumped out. So again, more questions than concrete answers. All I can say is that the one side indicates provenance, and the other side indicates the date and probably the smith, or possibly the name of the person for whom the sword was originally made. 

• Like 2

So with the wakizashi in hand now I took better pictures of the sayagaki to hopefully find some more answers. Also looking at the nakago in good sun light it appears to have a very worn mei on both sides, faint looks to be date and Masa. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you all tat have helped and any that will offer more. Regards

post-3756-0-18794700-1536185363_thumb.jpg

post-3756-0-81009300-1536185373_thumb.jpg

post-3756-0-57976400-1536185458_thumb.jpg

post-3756-0-80926200-1536185469_thumb.jpg

post-3756-0-84103700-1536185519_thumb.jpg

post-3756-0-74582100-1536185529_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..