Any Help Regarding My Sword Appreciated

Hello,

my name is Alex, I'm fropm germany. My father gifted that sword to me. He got it as a present in the 60s while studying in GB. I have absolutely no idea how old it is, if it's valuable or an industrial WW2 sword etc. Before having it professionally restaurated I'd like to know what it is. Thanks for any info! I can take more pictures if needed.

post-4623-0-51878900-1535460210_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-27639200-1535460212_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-92688600-1535460213_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-48698300-1535460215_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-05018800-1535460217_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-27402000-1535460218_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-53724400-1535460219_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-04442500-1535460771_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much!

Alex

Hi Alex, the image hosting makes it difficult to evaluate (especially on a mobile device). You may want to attach the photos directly to your post. There appears to be a very large fukure (blister) located directly within the hamon. I don't think that this is a viable candidate for restoration

Dear Alex.

However the good news is that you have a genuine Japanese katana, albeit one that has been a little neglected.  The fuchi kashira appear to be in iron with  a hare running across waves.  

Whatever you do don't attempt cleaning or restoration until you have shown it to someone who can advise you having seen the sword in hand.  If Ray is correct, and he has a very good eye, and there is a fukure or blister in the hamon then the sword will not repay your investment in restoration. ( I have to say that when I zoom in it does look as though there is a jagged void near the edge just below the point, if that is the case then....)  However we are only working from basic photographs, one of our German members might be able to look at the sword in hand and give you some advice.  I am assuming that there are no characters on the side of the tang that you did not photograph and so at best what you have is a shinto, unsigned sword.  In the collectors market this is not a great thing but it is none the less a genuine sword which has value to you.

All the best.

Yes, very neglected indeed... and not signed.

I'm not planing to sell it. It's been in my family a long time and it'll stay there. I have no idea how much a resoration cost - but I'd like to remove the years of negligence a bit and know something about its age.

I made some better pictures of the blade in it's sorry state:

post-4623-0-06175400-1535461919_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-69690900-1535461920_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-18127200-1535461922_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-33955900-1535461926_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-12119800-1535461928_thumb.jpg

post-4623-0-67725700-1535461929_thumb.jpg

Hi Alex,

We are concerned by the black mark in your 1st picture just above, the one near the edge just below the point.  If this is an opening in the skin, restoration makes no sense.  If, however, it is just a spot on the surface, there is hope.  Proper restoration (polish, new habaki, shira-saya, and a wooden blade to hold the original mounts together (you never put a newly polished sword back into the old mounts lest grit inside mar the polish)) will cost at least $2,000.  Improper restoration (by an amateur) is a sin.  There is nothing you can do yourself to restore the sword and lots you might try that can do serious damage; don't do that please.

Here is a link to a care & etiquette site:  http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Grey

Hello Alex, welcome. If thd sword has plenty of centimental value to you personally and you dont want to sell it and if you can afford it then i think you would be doing somethinv honorable having it restored by qualified profesionals trained in Japan.

Greg

• Like 1

That‘s good news! :-)

My father always thought it‘s a military sword as it was given to him by the parents of an ex-soldier but when I look at pictures of guntos I don‘t think so - but like Jon Snow, I know nothing.

How old could this sword be?

From the curve (sori)and patina of the tang. Id place it in shinshinto era. 17-1800s. The mounts should be keep org

With a wooden filler blade (tsunage). The blade polished and put into shirasaya. Grey has pointed out thats well over $2000. Willing to take it that far? Dont get talked in to having the handle rewrapped, its in good enough condition that ut can be stabilized.

Personally id just uchiko and keep oiled being sure to remove those fingerprints.

• Like 2

Well, I don't know. But I'd definately keep a complete restauration in mind. For now I'll clean it according to the info you gave me. It's in this state as long as I remember and I'm in no hurry. It's great to know a bit more about it - my father always thought it's a cheap sword from WW2.

I think that there is a lot of staining on your blade and if it were mine I might wipe it with some Nevr-Dull.  You can try to clean the habaki (collar at the base of the blade) with a little acetone and a cotton ball (use gloves).  Please don't use any abrasives or polishing material with abrasive in it.  (note I might even get heat for these suggestions....)  

You have what looks like an authentic samurai sword with older mounts made before the 1870s.  It appears to be a katana probably made in the 1700s, perhaps in the 1800s.  The sword has not been abused as far as I can tell and the mounts and sword are all in good condition, albeit a little stained.  The sword appears to be unsigned, though the photo only shows one side of the tang.  I would say it is probably worth something in the $2000-3000 range.  If it is a family heirloom and you want to restore it, please enlist the help of people on this board to be sure it  isn't ruined by an untrained polisher in Germany.  A proper  polish of this blade will cost you at least $3000-4000 and require that you send it to Japan most likely.  There are some cheaper options in europe but it is important to be sure that the polisher you select is approved by knowledgable people on this board.  

Congratulations on having a very nice family heirloom.  We are lucky if we have treasured gifs from our parents, especially after they are gone.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..