Mei help please

hkfan

A this is my first post I would like to thank you in advance for any and all help. As a child I was always curious and interested in the mystique surrounding the samurai and their weaponry. I never thought I would own a possibly real katana but about two weeks ago my ffather surprised me with this sword. While being a bit pessimistic about it's authenticity, I gratefully accepted this gift as it was very kind of him. Any help translating this inscription and possibly verifying it's authenticity as a real Japanese katana is appreciated. I have taken this sword apart to scan the tang as it is very difficult to photograph. I will post pics of the other pieces in the proper forum in the future. Thanks again.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii133/lx460/mei4.jpg

Welcome to the Board. As Grey has said your sword is signed by Kanemitsu of Mino province and is perfectly real. There were quite a few generations who used that signature, the most likely being the one working around 1660 or so. Treasure your new acquisition and learn all you can about it.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..