What Is It And Can It Be Safely Removed?

lotus

I think you need someone Like Ford to advise you. To me it loooks like the aged remains of paper and glue from an old sticky label (hate it when people stick these things on the surface of anttique metal and wood!!) If so it may come away with alcohol such as methylated spirit but PLEASE take more authorative advice before  trying.

Hi Patrick,

Old paper or price label, aged by glue backing or other substance such as oil?

Float it with alcohol, soap, water, and toothbrush or toothpick it apart and off.

Katchushi is the best call.

Bone or ivory in moderation, as patina at the seppa dai already looks thin- while further out towards the edges could use some rust removal.

Thanks for the tips, but yeah, it does look like that. 

I noticed an old thread with a similar looking Tsuba and there was some debate between Katchushi vs Umetada on that one :

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/7313-ko-sukashi-tsuba-with-amida-yasuri-what-school/

Also, would a guesstimate of age be early-Edo? Or possibly earlier?

Dimensions : 

- width: approx. 7.6cm (2 63/64in)
- thickness: approx. 3.9cm (1 17/32in)
- nakago ana: approx. 0.91cm (23/64in) x 3.1cm (1 7/32in)
- weight: 104g

That old thread is worth reading.

7 years later:   Pete's observations are the smarter than mine. I'd edit my old writings, if I could.

From one picture, I'm going to say yours is relatively flat- not shaped surface?

Partially for that reason, I am sticking with katchushi on yours. My opinion is Edo period.

This isn't precise science, even at the paid level of the NBTHK.

I was shown a tsuba over the weekend that had NBTHK Hozon papers to Ono. A few days later, I see a high nigh identical one with NBTHK Hozon papers to Haruta.

They were both papered the same year, about 6 months apart. I have no idea why.  The seller of the Haruta one writes, "This Tsuba has features of Owari Tradition, robust feeling, but has been attributed to the Haruta Tradition." I agree with the seller.

Take our opinions as opinions. Unlike the NBTHK, we aren't paid.

• Like 1

Hello Patrick,

I would claim this Tusba as Katchushi-style but a later one, early Edo at its best, probably later.

Although the lower part of the picture is missing my supposition is based on the exakt shape of the nakago-ana and the somewhat stereotype form and layout of both hitsu-ana and the ivy leaves.

The Tsuba is smaller but thicker than the old ones, too.

Alas the condition isn’t good either so it looks older as it is.

Yours,

Florian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..