New Japanese Armour Study Group

IanB

All, I have taken the plunge and started a new study group on Facebook dedicated to the serious study of Japanese Armour. It is called 'The Japanese Armour Study Group' - not terribly original I know but I hope it will prove accurate, especially with regard to STUDYING,. All of the katchu enthusiasts here and elsewhere are invited to contribute. Hope to see you there.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 9

Ian, I know that you intend to stay here on this forum too, but we have to all accept that Social Media is becoming the place as its so accessible for so many. Forums are suffering as a result. Maybe this will help direct some traffic back here when users ask nihonto based questions. What I like here is that you have created a group that comes from the heart, its all about sharing information freely. Well done. 

I hope you don't mind but I posted this today to my pages:

-----------------------
Ian Bottomley is without a doubt the leading authority in the west for Samurai Armour. Forget the others, Ian is the real deal and is respected by everyone as being so.

Today Ian opened a Study Group on Facebook where you can interact and learn about this fascinating subject. 

I would personally urge any of you that love this subject to go and join this group. I believe this will be The Place on any social media platform to learn about Katchu. The membership also includes some very knowledgeable people so this is really the ultimate resource at your fingertips. And it's FREE to everyone. 

Please go and join and show your support.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/japanesearmourstudygroup/

39664843_10155553496262190_3732346212519

• Like 5

Hmmmm, despite what "people" say I find fb/Social Media is clumsy to navigate - is it just me???  I love the Forum format, but in deference to Ian I will "attach" myself to his new group.  I'm running out of time in the day to follow all that I would like.  Sighhhh,  God please, more lifetimes for Nihonto/Katchu devotees...

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Ther is one problem with FB, PPL who know absolutely nothing about the subject they are replying to and giving assinie comments,  which in hand confuses new students.

I find its very frustrating to weed out the dipchits. Cut my FB follows to Tims, Rays Joes, Roys. 

• Like 6

But, there is a prophecy from advanced collectors and sellers that armor and also the fittings ( tsuba) markets will strongly grow and the

sword markets will see an extraordinary slum in the near and middle future.

So the study FB group makes sense..

Best

• Like 2

Uwe, its working, over 500 people joined up, how fantastic. Maybe you will join too?
Ian is posting some of his old papers that have been on the forums for years covered in dust. They are being received very well and they have been re-heated so to speak.
As much as we love the forums they are in decline and we cannot prevent it.

I'm really supportive of what Ian has done today because he has made a move at actually growing the subject we love.

• Like 1

All,  So far all has gone well with the new study group. Facebook can be a bit confusing, especially when you don't spot 'comments'. When that happens you don't realise there has been interest in something when in actuality there has been a lot of activity. What has been a very pleasing revelation is that there has not been a single derogatory or offensive comment. All who have logged on, that is some 548 so far, have been more that polite and very positive.  It has been a very worthwhile endeavour. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 4

" All,  So far all has gone well with the new study group. Facebook can be a bit confusing, especially when you don't spot 'comments'. 

Ian Bottomley   "

On the open forums and Social medias, the amount ( and wide range of knowledge) of enthusiast makes it hard to "control" the desired contents intended, of the subject "at hand"..

I am a low ( very low) knowledge level enthusiast, and I love to read all I can, from all you  leaders of the Nihonto and Katchu fields.

It's when people like me start asking "hampering Questions", that disrupts the flow of the discussion.  :(

One Facebook Group just changed their name from Japanese Ceramic Collectors, to Japanese Studio Pottery Collectors,

to try and reinterated, "Narrow down",  and focus the group back to their original intent. 

" I tried FB....can't get used to it. Impossible to easily access past info, and derails far too easily. But you have a good team, and will be following along soon. " - Brian 

That is one of Facebooks drawbacks, their narrow/ small Dialog Boxes.
Takes so long to scroll down to look/scan for older entries..  :(
And, the remaining space on the Page is "Ad's and "trying to connect"  people..  :)

As a enthusiast, I like to read everything you guys write or tell, because, sooner or later, that item or subject arises and the old saying "I remember reading something about that" clicks in..
So, even letting the low level enthusiast can  have "Read Only" axcess, without commenting.. "everything helps"..

Thanks Guys..
Alton <  The  Dagashi Samurai
:)

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..