Iron Tsuba (Tembo?)

Steve Waszak

Offered here is a rather large iron tsuba (80 x 77mm, 2-2.5mm at the nakago-ana) that may be an example of Tembo work.  The sukashi (I believe of a crescent moon and two stars...or maybe Mars and Venus) are executed in an angled manner leaving long "entry points" of the chisel on each side of the plate.  I am not familiar with Tembo work that employs sukashi in this way, so this guard may be an example of another tradition's work.

The kokuin (stamps) that appear on the plate are of course very much in the Tembo tradition, and the heavy working (hammering) of the surface, too, is a fairly classic sign of Tembo aesthetic sensibilities. 

This tsuba boasts beautiful iron and possesses a lot of rustic charm, but also projects a degree of strength and solidity.  I would conservatively date the tsuba to 19th-century, but it could in fact be much older.  SOLD .  Please let me know if you have questions... :)

Cheers,

Steve

post-224-0-39020000-1534575905_thumb.jpeg

post-224-0-76293300-1534576218_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..