Can Anyone Decipher This Signature?

lotus

Jean -

Yeah, I noticed the peculiar lines radiating from the center and wondered what the heck they were? Thanks for providing the term so I could look it up. Also, that is an interesting thought that the decoration might be a later addition. That makes it rather unique and gives it a bit of a story.

If this were the case, wouldn't the quality of iron show more age and character?

Pat

Jean -

Yeah, I can understand that. What drew me to this Tsuba was the carving and scenery, the other features just provide a bit more interest to the piece, IMO (the Toda Hikozaemon Mei and the Amida Yasuri).

The Tsuba you linked to is really nice one for sure, I am sure the buyer was very happy to get it.

Uwe -

I see what you mean though I can make out the 1st 4 symbols then it is iffy. The 5th symbol might be the 門 ?

If you read the thread Jean linked, Steve posted this :

The tsuba is signed with the unmistakably idiosyncratic calligraphy of Toda Hikozaemon, a lightly-incised loose "scrawling" that is much appreciated by many for its verve and unique character. 

Interestingly, the signature of my Tsuba seems similar to the one from that thread. Also, I found a signed Tsuba on another site with that missing symbol. Maybe that was just how he shorthanded it? 

If anyone else knows where we can get a clear example image of this signature on a Tsuba, it might helkp!

I noticed another thing on this Tsuba which is related to a previous responder to this thread :

What catches my attention immediately is to ask why is the back of the tsuba the more pictorially decorative than the front where the signature is???  "Back" being defined by the kozuka hitsuana.

BaZZa.

I see evidence of Amida Yasuri on both sides. But most of it appears to have been removed (filed or maybe worn) away. Perhaps this Tsuba was originally just a fairly plain Amida Yasuri themed Tsuba (signed Toda Hikozaemon) but when the fancy new carving occurred later, it was done on the wrong side?

May be a stretch here, just trying to make sense of it. Pic attached showing the remnants of Amida Yasuri on the signed side...

post-2278-0-61723200-1535232609_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..