Shakudo Habaki?

EdWolf

I am not an expert Ed but it look, as you said, a copper habaki coated with a thin foil of shakudo.

I remember a set of photos by Ford Hallam showing the replacement of such a foil on an habaki.

Unfortunately I am not able to find the link again. Sorry.

Regards

Luca

• Like 1

The one negative I have heard regarding shakudo habaki is that polished shakudo may tend to show fingerprints. There is a craftsmen who specializes in two piece habaki with polished shakudo on the inside. They look great when clean however, like those expensive black iPhones, tend to show prints easily.

• Like 4

There was an old saw that two piece habaki with the inner piece being shakudo was a sign of less than desirable quality of sword.

That's why I always switch the watch straps on the fake Rolexes I buy in Bangkok to cheap, plastic ones - I mean, people need to know that I'm a cheapo, right? :rotfl:

• Like 1

Ahhh, Guido mate...  Many a joke is said in jest (is that right???), but the last time I saw pics of anything out of your collection it was all top drawer.  You're OK mate, no wuckin furries, just keep up with the jokes/jests and occasionally throw a good picture at us slavering dogs...

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Dear All.

Just a thought, the shakudo foil is patinated to achieve that lovely black colour.   As the sword is drawn and re sheathed the patina is subject to wear which might account for the fact that you usually see it as the inner part of a niju habaki.

I have one sword with a habaki like the one that started this post and I have to agree it looks smart against the gilt seppa!

All the best.

• Like 1

That's why I always switch the watch straps on the fake Rolexes I buy in Bangkok to cheap, plastic ones - I mean, people need to know that I'm a cheapo, right? :rotfl:

Spending all that good money on plastic watch bands???  What the hell is wrong with those old shoelaces?  Mottainai!!!   :laughing:

I heard a story once about shakudo habaki perhaps indicating the presence of a hagire in a sword, which to me makes as much sense as a black mag wheels indicating the presence of a bent frame on a car.  

Preference?  Style?  Fashion?  Yes.

Yoshindo Yoshihara seems to have shakudo foil habaki quite often.  I doubt anyone would approach him as ask if that sword he has on display is somehow inferior because of the habaki.

• Like 6

I heard a story once about shakudo habaki perhaps indicating the presence of a hagire in a sword, which to me makes as much sense as a black mag wheels indicating the presence of a bent frame on a car.  

Preference?  Style?  Fashion?  Yes.

Yoshindo Yoshihara seems to have shakudo foil habaki quite often.  I doubt anyone would approach him as ask if that sword he has on display is somehow inferior because of the habaki.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. John F. Kennedy

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..