Sayagaki Translation

James

Piers,

If it's too much, how about you only attempt every second kanji character, and we'll ask the next guy to do the ones inbetween? :rotfl: :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can't even attempt them, way beyond my level.

Brian

Guest reinhard

Daniel translated the most important infos. Additionally it is dated to Showa Kinoe-Tora (1973) and signed by Kanzan with Kao (Dr.Sato). I can't tell if it's genuine though.

reinhard

I cannot read several important kanji on the saya.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

相州廣次 – Soshu Hirotsugu

生茎(有銘??? or 無銘???)也 – Ubu-Nakago, (signed??? or unsigned???)

出来見事也 – Workmanship is excellent.

刃長六寸八分余有之 – Blade length is 6 Shaku 8 Bu odd.

昭和甲寅年(水無月???) – (June???) of 1974

寒山(誌?) – Kanzan wrote.

Guest reinhard

The sugata doesn't look like a Soshu Hirotsugu anyway.

Well, that's what the saya-gaki says. No doubt about that.

Does the saya fit the blade without frictions?

reinhard

I don't own the tanto; it's something I'm considering buying.

I can post photos of the blade if requested.

OK, so.... It's a Tanto. You are considering buying it. You have not touched it. You have photos, taken by yourself (or someone else)?

James. Please give this kind of information in advance! People here can then judge how seriously to undertake such work. Lack of background can make translation unnecessarily heavy and stressful. Even with such information, it can take hours of cross-referencing, consulting, etc.

Many :thanks:

OK, so.... It's a Tanto. You are considering buying it. You have not touched it. You have photos, taken by yourself (or someone else)?

James. Please give this kind of information in advance! People here can then judge how seriously to undertake such work. Lack of background can make translation unnecessarily heavy and stressful. Even with such information, it can take hours of cross-referencing, consulting, etc.

You're right Piers, my apologies to all.

You're right Piers, my apologies to all.

Apology accepted! :clap: :beer:

My apology for mentioning it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..