Menuki - No Idea

Vermithrax16

I know just enough about swords to be, in my mind, mildy informed. Just getting a grasp on tsuba. On menuki? No idea at all.

But when the wife sees a set on some site she looks at and says "don't you like silver fittings?" you just embrace the situation and buy the set.

I think these are real silver (long experience with old coins) but no idea if they are old, made yesterday etc. Any feedback is appreciated even if it's bad. No worries at all.

post-4009-0-43082200-1534120515_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-04764200-1534120686_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-28757800-1534120696_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-00071400-1534120714_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-07320800-1534120752_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-95930900-1534120767_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

post-3432-0-53932300-1534175270_thumb.jpgpost-3432-0-07621100-1534175282_thumb.jpgJeremiah,

I'll throw my vote in for hollyhock as well, at this point I am cross eyed from looking at them, so many differing leaf and flower forms.

Was not able to find the exact form of blossom but the one pictured is close, together with the leaf type and clustered buds pictured on your menuki.....looks the likely suspect.

• Like 1

We have several plants illustrated here-

Ian, your tsuba/flower pick- Wasabi

Ian, your f/k- Nuphar Japonica (East Asian yellow water lilly)

Curran, your tsuba- most likely Wasabi

Jeremiah, I am amending my Hollyhock pick to include the possibility of Nuphar Japonica.

-S-

p.s.-all these plants share like leaf forms.

• Like 2

We have several plants illustrated here-

Ian, your tsuba/flower pick- Wasabi

Ian, your f/k- Nuphar Japonica (East Asian yellow water lilly)

Curran, your tsuba- most likely Wasabi

Jeremiah, I am amending my Hollyhock pick to include the possibility of Nuphar Japonica.

-S-

p.s.-all these plants share like leaf forms.

Mostly I agree with Steven here. In the past I've taken up this topic on the National Gardening Association Forums before, and got a variety of answers with some smarter gardeners arguing towards wasabi, or a type of it.

It gets complicated, and further confused by differences in Kanji for several different things all condensed into fewer names in English.

The scroll painting is an antique depiction of wasabi vs a more modern cultivated version.

I felt there might be a better answer or different answer for J's question, as I've seen versions of these menuki pop up before.

I was going to post an opinion next time I stumbled on the similar in a book or elsewhere.

Either that, or he can post in the National Gardening Association Forums. Those people are strong in the knowledge base.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..