Tsuba Papers

Hi Members and visitors,

Topic; Papers for tsuba.

Am interested in having some idea of what is involved, time and cost. Additionally, what papers are best and would run with tsuba much like a gemstone certificate by GIA. Any advice or opinion will be appreciated.

Thank You in advance,

Ed F

• Like 1

Hello Ed!

A fellow Bay State member!

My advice would be to submit to the NBTHK in Japan for Hozon/Tokubetsu Hozon papers.  You will most likely need a contact to arrange that for you. Price runs from 200-400 dollars US. Other fees may apply. No idea what you have, but Juyo submission will be more.

Time? Well, be patient. From submission through a contact to result can be 2-4 months. Return of item longer, and the actual papers, all in all, a year is to be expected.

• Like 1

Hi Edward, i'm not sure if its what you intend, but if you plan to paper your item(s), be sure to show them here first to hear from others and what they thing is the right thing to do. For some/many tsuba its just not worth it spending say 300-400USD.

• Like 1

Thank You Jeremiah, Axel and Pete for the input and links. Are there any National resources that might be indicative of the worthiness of a tsuba that would justify the potential of an item prior to that level of papering? I'm thinking if the maker is a potential big name. Pete I will check your links shortly and thanks again.

Respectfully, Ed F

Hi Pete and S,

I am looking at a few Tsuba in a collection that are being offered for sale. I have some photos as the items are in Latvia. I advised the owner that I would need to have the items in hand to examine etc. to confirm my observations for the obvious reasons. Owner advised me that she would consider sending them to me via an inlaw that apparently resides in this area. The pieces were acquired from big auction houses many years ago. I would like to be prepared for them when and if they arrive. I am aware of scams on these matters.

I have new programs and will need to bone up on process of sending photos and will review NMB standards etc.

As soon as I can send photos I will post in TSUBA catagory.

Thank you for assisting me,

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..