Loocking For Recomendation Tsuba

Ohtar

hi, im newby in the forum, hashimemashite. the thigs is i allready bought a showa katana i payed 2150 dollars )and i want prepare a Koshirae for it.  i see a few tsubas but is a really big world, i dont care the coetanian period of this one really, i aleady bought a muromachi wakisashi with papelrs , this want i want make it of my style. i found a tsuba but really dont know if its shiiremono, reproduction, or what, but i like it, the carps and the dragon fits well thinking in chinesse story of the carps to climb the river transform itsaelfs in dragons etc.

i send the photos can you tell me more or less the price i can pay as max, and the tipe of tsuba and fuchi, etc? thank you very much

post-4602-0-91102200-1533809365_thumb.jpg

post-4602-0-97498000-1533809376_thumb.jpg

post-4602-0-86239000-1533809439_thumb.jpg

post-4602-0-27157300-1533809448_thumb.jpg

Hi Ohtar (is that your name?), and welcome.

Blade looks OK, not sure on the price you paid though. Then again i know nothing of showato. The blade looks good, the horimono (engraving of the dragon), isn't that good but OK (in some cases the engraving was used to cover up defects / flaws). Fuchi & kashira don't look too good to me, tsuba also looks low quality. Depending on your budget i would personally search on for other items.

Others more knowledgeable here can help you with the signature. This might be a gendaito not showato..

Maybe its an idea to keep the blade as is in shirasaya (wooden scabbard for storage), and enjoy it as is. Then perhaps buy a few books about tosogu, fittings for the sword. Then you can make a more informed decision once you really know what you're looking at. Either way happy to see a new enthusiast! :thumbsup:

thank you for your response, the tsuba is arround 100 dollars, i supposed that is not a really hand made tsuba cause with this works the prices increasses a lot, but i dont know exactly the kind of tsuba, i dont wantr a reproducction, but i see some edo tsubas that serialiced for tachis, etc. i really dont know nothing about this, thansks again!

For a start you could start looking around shops to see real works. That's the quickest way to get an eye for it and to spot shabby work.

You can start here: http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/Tsuba-&-Kodogu

http://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_en_kogatana&tousougu&youhin.html

just look around.

If i were you I wouldn't get the f&k or tsuba you listed in the first post.

Agree with above, look over sites with better quality, The tsuba i suspect is sanmai, does it have same design on the other side?  Sanmai is two thin (usually copper) sanwiched on a iron core.

The F/K are crude, you can do better. Take your time, building a fine koshirae takes time and thought. 

Feel free to show any you care to ask about, thats why were here.

Hi Eric,

I would like to suggest a different option for you: look for and purchase an antique, Samurai sword in koshirae.  If you do your homework and pick well, the sword you choose will retain its value; it should always be worth what you put into it.  If, however, you assemble a set of lower end parts and pay someone to build the saya and tsuka for your sword with those parts, you will end up with something that is worth much less than what it cost you.  Collectors look for original Samurai mounts, not something put together by someone in the west.

I am troubled by the low quality of the dragon horimono on your sword; I wouldn't spend more money on it.

But it is your decision.  Grey

• Like 3

THank you for your comments, at the moment i will wait to think about what koshirae i want, indeed i like my katana, is my first original, im sure that is not a copy, in spain at least not are many marquet so the price i ask to a profesional i knew with many years and told me that the price was fine, not high not low, the original price was 2480 but ask for 2150, the horimono is true that is not the best one but i really liked i cant do that not even in dreams so i apreciate the art, is not a 30k katana i now it i dont pretend that i want i original katana i see many with oxide with higher price, well very apreciated for the adviced, but for a real katana of 1935 with horimono im happy even not the better forger still hard job, appart of that i buy a muromachi wakisashi for 1k that really like two. Thanks again i will pass of the tsuba etc, katana too late but still realy liked, every katana found their owner, she foundme yet :)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..